Facebook - A Very Dangerous Place

1; Only befriend people you actually relate to or know more then just "a friends friend" or someone you have met 1 time to that party. i have 40 friends on my facebook. that's all the people i care about.
Just want to add that this is especially important with the way FB's identity verification works. Be sure to add real people that you already know to minimise vulnerabilities to social engineering attacks.

dale said:
Just want to add that this is especially important with the way FB's identity verification works. Be sure to add real people that you already know to minimise vulnerabilities to social engineering attacks.

There are so many security things you have to do for so many different reasons which I am sure everyone here who uses Facebook has had to do.

One of the methods used was to use three or more fake profiles to befriend the target's friends. As most people have more than a few friends, and some of them are more inclined to accept friend requests, this step is easy.

Then use the fake profiles to befriend the target. FB will advertise these fake profiles as someone the target might know. For some people this really lowers their defence.

The significance of "three or more" fake profiles resides in how these profiles can be used to vouch for the target's identity. Of course, at this point, more layers of engineering can be applied and more things can be done with the target.

This method was described on a major news site because some serious damage was done, which I cannot remember much about at this point, unfortunately.

^^^^^^Just like to back this comment, you should add people you actually know.

My friend list only includes people I would stop at the mall (or where ever) and talk to. If I would see you and not say hi or stop and talk, your not on my friend list. This pretty much restricts it to family and "real" friends. However, we are all from an older generation that knows what "real" friends are. The kids growing up today would argue that what they do is fine.

Actually, most of the kids of the current generation don't use facebook anymore because all their parents/grandparents use it. Now they use twitter and instagram.

I only keep Facebook to keep up with a few old friends from high school and my early days of college. Most of those people I have (66 total) don't even get on and/or post much. I mainly use it to keep up with my mom, dad, and brother anymore since one of my best friends decided to delete his account. I never understood people who have hundreds or thousands of "friends". How many people of those do you actually know?

Saying that it's Facebook's fault when people post private stuff on their wall for everyone to see is akin to saying it's BMW's fault if someone drives a BMW, falls asleep and resultantly crashes.

10% of all break up's and Divorce's are Facebook's fault. Not the site itself, what people do on it.

Citation needed

Also, you just said it's facebook's fault, then went to say it's the people's fault not the website, in a thread you created about things being facebook's fault. (My head hurts.) So which is it?

Saying that it's Facebook's fault when people post private stuff on their wall for everyone to see is akin to saying it's BMW's fault if someone drives a BMW, falls asleep and resultantly crashes.

This. It's like saying talking is dangerous because breakups sometimes happen because of something someone says. It's the person's fault, not the website's.

Personally, I don't use facebook for much of anything. It just seems pretty pointless most of the time. I have like five people on it, just so we can share music on spotify.

Back
Top Bottom