Is this ok

Elmo1

Baseband Member
Morning everyone,

I`ve got a 1TB hdd and a 500GB hdd in my pc. I can get by on some pc matters, but i don`t understand this one

I installed windows 7 on my 1 TB hdd .....but the 100mb `system reserved` portion i find on my 500GB hdd

Can someone explain why this happens, is it ok

and

if i want can i load linux on that drive or would i be better using the drive for back up ,music, photos etc and partitioning my 1tb hdd for win 7 and linux.

Thanks in advance
Elmo

your system reserved holds your boot files etc and if you delete it Windows wont boot, anyway why install Windows to your TB Drive ?

If I was in your position I would disconnect your TB Drive and perform a clean install on your 500GB Drive, then format the TB Drive.

Then if you wish you could make C:\ partition 100GB (just for your OS, plenty of room) the remaining 400GB B:\ for your applications and use the TB Drive for storage etc.

Thanks for the advice Wildcat gonna try that tomorrow, just got in from work, feeling a bit flu-ey :sick:

Get well soon Elmo. :)

As for Linux booting, I guess you want to dual-boot Linux and Windows 7. As long as you remember to sort out booting for Windows 7 first, the rest is easy. Just give Linux a partition (e.g., ext3); run Linux installation -- I usually do this through a USB flash drive; overwrite existing Windows boot management for dual-boot, then voila! you are all set.

Good morning,
It was winter :sick: bug i had , still feel a bit fragile. gonna have a play with the pc at the w/e

I`ve acquired another HP 7600 they are sturdy monsters. i like to havea good spare pc , finances permitting lol

Take care i`ll be on at the w/e if i have any probs :)

Cheers Elmo

Elmo said:
Good morning,
It was winter :sick: bug i had , still feel a bit fragile. gonna have a play with the pc at the w/e

I`ve acquired another HP 7600 they are sturdy monsters. i like to havea good spare pc , finances permitting lol

Take care i`ll be on at the w/e if i have any probs :)

Cheers Elmo

Glad you feeling better, Yes I too like having a spare old PC laying around in case something happens.

Back
Top Bottom