Keep/Dump Norton?

My norton subscription ended long time ago now I have Microsoft windows essentials & ccleaner and have not have any problems with my desktops or laptop.

I use AVG, always have done for many years and has kept viruses out of my pcs, Also for malware use malwarebytes, A lot of members would recommend that..

Choose wisely especially if you do internet banking/transactions, I would not trust any free software.

^^^ Oh come now, I dont think that they whould be that dumb to write malware in the program code. Someone whould have discovered by now.

Last edited:
^^^ Oh come now, I dont think that they whould be that dumb to write malware in the program code. Someone whould have discovered by now.
My comment is not about writing malware in the software.... you get what you pay for....now think about it.

Comodo is the one I use.

3 years and not a single problem with it. Also Comodo do a web browser and other things now too.

Mossiac

I use AVG, but if you do use your computer for personal things like banking and stuff, I'd recommend a stronger anti-virus. Also Norton slows your computer down a lot, but if you have a good PC, i wouldn't worry about it.

I also agree that nod32 (or ESET Smart Security as it's now known) is the best AV available. This is largely due to their exceptional heuristic engine technology.

For those which don't know, this identifies threats based on their behaviour rather than pure signature matching which 99% of other AV vendors provide. As a result, they stop significantly more 'new' viruses which are still awaiting signatures/updates from AV companies to be disseminated to the client applications.

It is not, nor will it ever be, perfect - since this problem cannot be proven as solved.

As for free options, I would recommend AVG as they have reliably finished near the top end of the field.

Regardless of any of this, the best AV is to follow internet best-practice:

1) Don't click links in email, copy and paste the actual text (or better yet type it yourself)
2) Don't download/install anything which you didn't specifically go looking for
3) Be more suspicious of '.info', '.tv' or other top-level domains which are statistically shown to host more malware than traditional TLDs
4) Disable Java & Adobe plugins (uninstall them if you don't visit sites which require them)
5) Keep all software up to date (especially Java & all adobe applications if you need them!)
6) Use plugins such as no-script to selectively control what sites/domains can run javascript on your pc
7) Use https:// wherever possible and combine with plugins such as 'Certificate Patrol' to ensure the SSL certificate for that site is valid
8) If you want extra security, use linux or virtual machine technology which can be easily wiped/restored to a known-good state

I'm sure there are others, but these will undoubtedly stop 99% of exploit attempts affecting most internet users.

Hope that helps.

I used to use Norton, but then they changed something in one of their updates and it slowed my machine way down. Personally, I think McAfee is the best thing since sliced bread.

Back
Top Bottom