SSD vs HDD

I think you are mixing up SRAM with DRAM. Flash is SRAM (Static Random Access Memory) but the memory in your computer is DRAM (Dynamic Random Access Memory). As celegorm pointed out, DRAM requires power to keep from losing it's contents whereas SRAM doesn't.

DRAM uses tiny capacitors to hold a charge and the charge leaks off if not constantly refreshed whereas SRAM uses latching circuitry to remember it's contents.

Last edited:
Flash drives and SSD use EEPROM so sorry to point it out strollin but you are wrong.

---------- Post added at 02:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:33 PM ----------

DRAM uses tiny capacitors to hold a charge and the charge leaks off if not constantly refreshed whereas SRAM uses latching circuitry to remember it's contents.

Also called transisters in DRAM or a flip-flop where if one transister or the other is eating a current, making ones and zeros.

I think there is not a specific answer of which one is better among them because both have its own qualities & drawbacks. like:-

In SSD data is stored in microchips whereas in HDD fetch data from Storage platter.

Data storage capacity of HDD is higher and cheaper as compared to SSD.

These are some aspect by which we can differentiate SSD & HDD. There are lots of more differences you may found on Google.

I use a PC as a TV recorder and as a PC for TV I like the idea of speeding up the OS however I'm relucktant to swap my OS HDD to a SSD reason being
some of my recorded TV shows are copy -once content can only be played on the OS that made the recording there is a DRM key gets stored on the OS drive when the recording is made In order to play the recording, the DRM key must exist on the OS drive.

so if I clone or install a new copy of my OS (Win7 64) then I could possiably lose some of my recordings.

If I knew this before I started using the PC as a high definition recorder I would have started w/ the SDD.
I've sean Y-tube videos on the bootup speed of SSDs and there impresive however have'nt been around long enought to be proven.
STB

Flash drives and SSD use EEPROM so sorry to point it out strollin but you are wrong. ...
Guess you and your avatar have been smoking a little too much of whatever it is that you smoke. :D

Flash drives/SSD do NOT use EEPROM (Electrically Erasable Programmable READ-ONLY Memory). An EEPROM is used to store small amounts of non-volatile memory such as the firmware for a hardware device. It is way too slow (not to mention READ-ONLY) to be used for a flash drive or ssd. EEPROMs must be completely erased and rewritten in order to change their contents.

Last edited:
Well I must show this to my teacher.

He told me what I wrote above.

Thanks for correcting me strollin, it does make scene
"EEPROMs must be completely erased and rewritten in order to change their contents."

The biggest factor here is money. If you are rolling in cash (which I'm sure if you were you wouldn't be on here) then get an SSD no questions asked.

Otherwise it really depends on if you need the performance or the storage space. So generally there is not one that is better all-around. Best of luck to you.
----------------------------
James

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom