How RAM can make a difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I got a sony vaio with 266mhz ddr. WEI on windows 7 was 2.0 for the ram. I had an old athlon 64 that i used 400mhz ddr on. WEI on windows 7 was like 3.8 or 4.0.

Speed definitely does make a difference.

I used to cheap out on the RAM when building computers. I generally went for 1333MHz but I have started using 1866MHz RAM and I can see the difference. It really does help.

I have 2gb of RAM, is it possible to just upgrade to 4gb of RAM with the same amount of pins that it needs? And plus, my PC is 4gb but says its only using 2gb. Can that be changed?

KLai

Before we can answer your question we need to know the make/model of your computer (or motherboard if home built). We also need to know what OS you're using and whether it is 32 or 64-bit.

Your post is a little confusing. At first you say that you have 2G of RAM but later say that your PC has 4G but only uses 2G. Is your question about adding more RAM or is it about getting the computer to recognize all the RAM that is already installed?

My motherboard is a ASUSTeK Computer INC.
Model: P5KPL-VM

Adding more ram in XP will do something useful. By adding more ram you can turn off the pagefile. By not having to access the pagefile to read or write memory overflow, it will speed things up a bit. But as far as I see it that benefit would only be useful if you're running some memory intensive software. Not as a general purpose speed increase.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom