Router Question!

PvtDirt

Solid State Member
Hi everyone!

I have a couple questions.

I have a router that's about 7 years old. For some reason, it randomly quits and comes back on. What I mean by this is it'll work, then at random a little yellow triangle will appear in the bottom right hand corner of my desktop over the signal strength. This seems to only happen to my computer, and not the rest of my family. I've tried multiple computers. I've also tried restarting the modem and router.

So I think it's time for a new router. I'm looking for something that can run 4 computers at a time, as well as Xbox Live. I'd like gaming friendly, no having to mess around with ports and junk. I'm also looking for ease of setup.

Any recommendations are appreciated! Thanks!

Cisco linksys E4200

The Cisco E4200 is a superbly featured dual-band wireless router with great wired performance from gigabit ethernet, and now fast and extended wireless connectivity too. Right now, it's the fastest wireless-n router we've come across.

Verdict
The Cisco E4200 is a superbly featured dual-band wireless router with great wired performance from gigabit ethernet, and now fast and extended wireless connectivity too. Right now, it's the fastest wireless-n router we've come across.

You have a problem that happens only to you.

the rest of your family is fine, other computers you tried are fine, so you immediately think that it's the common component that's at fault?

you don't think it might be an issue with your computer?

You have a problem that happens only to you.

the rest of your family is fine, other computers you tried are fine, so you immediately think that it's the common component that's at fault?

you don't think it might be an issue with your computer?

I've tried multiple computers and they do the same thing.

Depends heavily on your budget, there is no good of bad brand (for the most part) when it comes to wireless routers, its more about the model you chose. What is your budget and I can look into something for you, whats the size of your house roughly, and how many walls are you going though? Any significant things that will interfere with signal like a fireplace or brick wall?

As far as I know, it's only in my room. I've tried 3 different computers, all of which get the same result. I do all of my work in my room for school and paperwork for my job, so it's important that I find a solution. My budget is between $100-$150. The router is situated downstairs, while my room is upstairs. I'm unsure of the exact square footage of my house, but it's a main level, and a basement. There are no fireplaces or brick walls around.

I've tried resetting the whole router, this didn't work.

So this may be a wireless problem then?

like there is not enough range, or there is some interference that comes on occasionally, (such as someone using the microwave, which emits interference at 2.4GHz and upsets wireless signals?)

See if your router has a site survey function, or use your computer to scan for wireless networks, see how many people in the area may be using the same wireless channel etc.

you can use your computer to do a site survey by opening the command prompt and typing
netsh wlan show networks mode=Bssid

check what your signal strength is like ordinarily, when your computer becomes disconnected try running this and see if you are still picking up any signal at all?

If it's an interference or range problem it will likely still exist if you buy a new router.

Back
Top Bottom