Can someone find forum posts/internet activity through i.p. address?

alfmelmak

Beta member
So basically where I used to work, they'd twist anything about my personal life into harassment. They're probably reading this now because I've posted here in the past, so they save it in a folder and might read the forums religiously in case I come back or maybe they can find me through my i.p address. I use all different website forums a lot. When I get into a new thing, I usually have a few good questions and ask a forum. I.E, if they knew I got a dirt bike, they'd know to find dirt bike forums and read the entire thing and try and find me through context because I never use my real name. However, there have been times that I know they've read my posts because I can tell by hints they let out, but they are so out of the blue and I can't imagine how much they must have read in order to have found only a few posts by me using only context. I highly doubt they had me hacked, and again, the amount of time and effort they must have used to find me with just context and assumption is scary just to try and use anything about my personal life as harassment. So, I'm wondering if there's a 'simple' way to find my internet activity like through my i.p address? I've posted in a forum that displays i.p address, and besides, youtube makes it pretty easy to learn how to find someone's i.p. IOW, could they plug in my i.p to something and find my internet activity like forum posts or downloads or anything like that, or they just read and read and read forums based on assumption or hacked me? I'm on a very secure connection, no viruses ever, no network so other computers in the house can't see what I'm doing, computer is always locked, etc. Thanks

A little paranoid are we? Actually it's not all that complicated to find somebody. You just have to know how to go about it. And that's something for the sake of protecting others, we don't share.
Your opening line tells me you were using a workplace network. Sure, anything you do, websites you visit, e-mails you sent or receive, programs you run, data you store, all get filed away somewhere.
And yeah, you might get your chops busted for using company equipment in an inappropriate manner. You're getting paid to work, not lolly gag around.
And since the term "where I used to work" means they had enough of you and kicked your ass to the curb, better behave on your next job or you might want to invest in an cushion to land on.

yes they can everything you do would be logged on a work server or as a administrator they can tell what you have been up to just by checking appdata local and roaming folder including cookies and internet history ect. All data is fully recoverable and be tracked over the network.
you should not use work computers other than for work related tasks there for you broke company policy.
why are you worried about whether or not they read you posts in forums you are putting it out to the world to read and I could pick your post off a mile from the rest :D
what do you have to hide then lol
don't worry no one can see what you are doing on your normal network though your ip address other than government and internet police agency's that track and follow us when we type in key words that is how the police track you though the internet and you are hardly wanted by the CIA,FBI or new Scotland yard so don't worry but in future don't use work computers for personal use unless otherwise stated by the company.

Others attached to your home network can see what you have been up to and view your files and folders locking the workstation is not that secure as the next person and straight away kick you off if you are a administrator or login themselves log off then it is harder they can still go to my computers and users and still select you username and view your files that way there is no way out.

Kind Regards

sorry if I didn't make it clear that there were no computers at my old job. And, setishock, what makes you think I didn't have enough of them and quit?

"why are you worried about whether or not they read you posts in forums you are putting it out to the world to read and I could pick your post off a mile from the rest"
I said it wasn't hiding anything, all it was about was them taking anything about my personal life and harassing me about it as if I they're better than me at work and after work kind of.

"Others attached to your home network can see what you have been up to and view your files and folders locking the workstation is not that secure as the next person and straight away kick you off if you are a administrator or login themselves log off then it is harder they can still go to my computers and users and still select you username and view your files that way there is no way out."
I don't understand the sentences. When I format my computer, I don't put it on a workgroup network, my internet goes into a switch, not through another computer or anything. They can still bypass windows and get in my computer?? I thought only if it said $C:drive or something like that, which it doesn't.

Also, youtube makes it pretty easy to find i.p. addresses, it doesn't take years like hacking.

on this forum IP addresses are only accessible to moderators.

you sure that the "subtle hints" aren't obvious, or that you didn't speak to someone else.
maybe you've put stuff on facebook.

this is a small forum, but even so, I'd challenge anyone to read through the stuff that's put on here and actually decide that they know who the people are.

A little paranoid are we?
And since the term "where I used to work" means they had enough of you and kicked your ass to the curb, better behave on your next job or you might want to invest in an cushion to land on.
These comments sort of does not really answer the question of "can some one be found through IP addresses"

on this forum IP addresses are only accessible to moderators.

you sure that the "subtle hints" aren't obvious, or that you didn't speak to someone else.
maybe you've put stuff on facebook.

this is a small forum, but even so, I'd challenge anyone to read through the stuff that's put on here and actually decide that they know who the people are.

^^ Pretty much this.

If what you're asking is "if they know my IP can they search for places I've visited knowing only my IP" the answer is no. They would need to get into your computer and actually monitor you or again get in and take a gander at your browser's log, cache and cookies. All of these are illegal and I doubt any company would go to such great lengths and risks to monitor what someone does at home.

Back
Top Bottom