OS Crash, Possible faulty hard drive ?

arsenalbates

Daemon Poster
I have a tower with a sata hdd 160 gb

The OS (vista) just locks up after or during logon.

Starts in safe mode ok but crashes less often (but lasts longer than normal mode)

I have done a memtest and RAM is ok.

I have done a seatools hdd test and it reports 1 error (full scan)

The HDD light is stuck on.

The mice moves but cant actually click anything without it going white and crashing.

I have listened to the HDD when it crashes and all i can hear is the normal sound of the drive spinning. ( not a rythmetic clicking or any other sign that it could be a faulty HDD)

Im guessing the bad sector in the Hdd is causing this ?

I have a tower with a sata hdd 160 gb

The OS (vista) just locks up after or during logon.

Starts in safe mode ok but crashes less often (but lasts longer than normal mode)

I have done a memtest and RAM is ok.

I have done a seatools hdd test and it reports 1 error (full scan)

The HDD light is stuck on.

The mice moves but cant actually click anything without it going white and crashing.

I have listened to the HDD when it crashes and all i can hear is the normal sound of the drive spinning. ( not a rythmetic clicking or any other sign that it could be a faulty HDD)

Im guessing the bad sector in the Hdd is causing this ?

Vista is known for these problems. One way to try fixing it is a fresh install of vista, and then all new drivers. if that doesn't work, get rid of vista, and get win 7 or win xp. But a good cause for your problem could be bad install of drivers, or windows it's self. make sure all your drivers are all updated as well. If none of this fixes it, then the next thing would be your Hard drive. As they get older, they get more and more problems. I should know, my hard drive right now is going, and soon I have to replace it. See if any of this works, and then get back to me.:)

Vista is known for these problems. One way to try fixing it is a fresh install of vista, and then all new drivers. if that doesn't work, get rid of vista, and get win 7 or win xp. But a good cause for your problem could be bad install of drivers, or windows it's self. make sure all your drivers are all updated as well. If none of this fixes it, then the next thing would be your Hard drive. As they get older, they get more and more problems. I should know, my hard drive right now is going, and soon I have to replace it. See if any of this works, and then get back to me.:)

Thanks for the reply. Soon after posting this I reseated the RAM and now it wont even post.

Diagnosed as bad mobo. might test another processor in it but after that I cant see any more options.

See post http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/failure-post-221239.html#post12120617.

Thanks for the reply. Soon after posting this I reseated the RAM and now it wont even post.

Diagnosed as bad mobo. might test another processor in it but after that I cant see any more options.

See post http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/failure-post-221239.html#post12120617.

I highly doubt that that is your mobo, especially with your problems. Processor is a possibility, but not as likely as the hard drive. If it is your processor, then, well you need a new one. First reinstall fresh drivers, then put the hard drive in a different computer, and see what it does. If it acts up, you know it's the hard drive, if it is normal, then it is the CPU. Or something else. But at least your then a step closer.

I highly doubt that that is your mobo, especially with your problems. Processor is a possibility, but not as likely as the hard drive. If it is your processor, then, well you need a new one. First reinstall fresh drivers, then put the hard drive in a different computer, and see what it does. If it acts up, you know it's the hard drive, if it is normal, then it is the CPU. Or something else. But at least your then a step closer.

I am no longer able to get to the BIOS. It has to be mobo or processor. they are the only 2 things i have not changed over.

I am no longer able to get to the BIOS. It has to be mobo or processor. they are the only 2 things i have not changed over.

It can't be the mobo because when a mobo goes faulty, they just shut down, and don't even turn on. So then CPU=processor.

No, couldn't be the ram, because if it was, the computer would even boot up at all. Thanks for trying to help though.:)

Its not processor either, Just found a working 775 and replaced it. Unless the new processor is not compatible with this board then it has to be the mobo.

Its not processor either, Just found a working 775 and replaced it. Unless the new processor is not compatible with this board then it has to be the mobo.

It does not have to be the mobo. Just try out what i said before with the hard drive. Mobo's don't react like that when they die. When they die, the whole system doesn't work.

Back
Top Bottom