Office 2010 starter

setishock

Wizard of Wires
Excell
I have several templates I use at work that I got from template websites. They work rather well for what they do.
BUT
I made a simple template with no formulas just to make a printable worksheet for me to do my daily reports. Now I'd like to go back in to it and insert some formulas.
So the lines read:
(C6) A > Room Rental............................$________
(C7) B > Daily Room Rental.....................$________
(C8) D > Weekly TAXED Room Rental........$________
(C9) C > Weekly TAX EXCEMPT Rm Rental $________
(Please note due to the posting editor limitations, I had to put the dots in to keep everything lined up.)
The formula for the work sheet is: A-B-C=D. The text is in column A. The dollar signs in column B. The numbers in column C.

I click the formula tab and put in the formula and hit enter. Then go back to the home tab. Two things happen. One the formula appears in the C8 cell and two when I enter the numbers it doesn't run the formula and show the output in the C8 cell.

ARRRGGGG What am I doing wrong?

The formula you should put in C9 should look like this: =((C6-C7)-C8). The $ is not needed in a cell by itself, change the format of the numbers in the columns to currency and the $ will be added automatically.

First, this is Excel right?
You have your formula on a different tab than the rest of the data?

In your formula make sure it references the C6-C9 cells on the "home" tab.

Personally I'd just go to C8 and put in =C6-C7-C9. That should get you what you want.

Also, for the record, you can just format column C as currency.

LOL, strollin, you beat me.

Last edited:
The output needs to go to C8.
So following your example, it should look like this:
=((C6-C7)-C9)
Because C8 is the answer to the calculation. Right?

Let me go scope these out and I'll get back to ya'll ASAP.
Thanks to both of you.

Yes.
His formula will subtract c6 and c7 first and then subract c9, but in the case of subtraction as long as they are in the right order it should come up with the same results (if you don't want to use so many parenthasis).

Ok I had to save the template in the formula tab for it to keep it.
Both work great.
I'll jump up and down on the thanks button now.

Yes.
His formula will subtract c6 and c7 first and then subract c9, but in the case of subtraction as long as they are in the right order it should come up with the same results (if you don't want to use so many parenthasis).
Yes, in this case you can leave the parentheses out but I prefer to put them in because it makes sure you get the intended answer. They are more often needed when mixing addition/subtraction with multiplication/division unless you know the rules of precedence really well and put things in the correct sequence.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom