Web development

jmacavali

Fully Optimized
I am interested in creating and maintaining websites. How should I go about this? I want to be able to build the site and then let someone else host it for me. What language should I learn? Ideas on where to find info online about that language? I'd like to basically find somewhere where I can learn like I would if I would go back to college for web development, if that's possible.

Start with HTML.

For building and maintaining web sites, I like to use Adobe Dreamweaver.

Any idea where I can find a nice layout to teaching me HTML? Like a tutorial that starts at the beginning and advances from there?

I recommend XHTML 1.0 (Strict, if possible).

Rationale being XHTML is similar to HTML in syntax, but stricter. I think it makes more sense, so even though it is stricter, it is not any more difficult than HTML. Also a page in XHTML can be read as HTML without any change, but not vice versa.

It is good to check your page with a validator as you go because it helps you maintain good habits.

W3Schools is definitely the place to start.

Learn your basic HTML / XHTML.

Then there are a couple of routes you can take from there but two of my recommendations would be:

PHP - very popular choice

A .net language either C# or VB you can get a free copy of MS Web Developer to help with the visual side of things as well.

Your also probably going to want to learn a database language if you want to do anything really meaningful, either MySQL or MS SQL.

MySQL will generally be paired with PHP where as .net will generally be paired with MS SQL.

Both options / pairs have there free routes to go down.

Ok, I'm going to give this a go. We'll see where it ends up. Is there a way I can show you guys a website without having it hosted somewhere (I don't want to pay anyone yet to host it).

Yep,

You can look into hosting your own site, all you need is a little port forwarding on your router and a half decent sever software, I recommend apache or MS IIS.

Do a little google on each and you will find which one suites you and you should find some nice instructions

Site is nice. So far it's dawned on me that I actually took a basic html class in college and it is coming back pretty quickly. I'm hoping to be able to move along quickly and see where I get. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom