Dell Dimensions 3100 RAM?

dominover1

Baseband Member
I'm trying to determine what kind of ram I can put in a Dell Dimensions 3100 desktop computer.

I have used Crusoft website and it gives me a range of ram types.

My question is, can I put compatible RAM in a dell computer. The reason I ask is that when I went to get some ram for my computer (HP Pavillion) I was told by the techo guy at the computer shop that I would have to buy the exact RAM memory type HP uses or I will get blue screen. Was this just to get rid of expensive RAM?

I am now looking for RAM for someone elses computer (The dell), but want to make sure it won't give them blue screen.

I didn't end up upgrading my HP by the way so I'm not sure if compatible ram is ok?

Here's two Dell ram types I'm comparing. I know they look the same. There are other Dell only RAM specs which indicate a PC2 5300 spec as well, but I don't know what that means. I'm trying to get the best price possible and obviously genuine is more expensive.

The alegedly Dell only RAM>

2GB Kit 2X 1GB DDR2 PC2-4200 533Mhz Dell Dimension 3100 3100c Memory RAM

The compatible RAM.

2GB (2x1GB) DDR2-667 PC2-5300U 667MHz 240 pin CL5 PC5300 Desktop Memory

If it's older then DDR3 and it's faster then what the motherboard supports it will be unstable and properly blue screen. you need to check what the motherboard supports.
In most cases if it supports PC2-4200 it will also support PC2-5300. but check it out to be sure.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom