windows 7 to windows xp problem

higheststorm

Baseband Member
Hello. Before you guys aske me "why are you doing a stupid thing like downgrading your OS?" I will have you know that I love windows 7. Its a great OS. But, in my opinion, XP is better for gaming. Anyways, let's get to the problem. I went from Win7 Ultimate to WinXP Pro, and the installation ran perfect, my computer was like brand new (because it was designed for WinXP). One small problem though : my internet is no longer working. I click on Internet Explorer, and it tells me to either connect to a dail up connection, join my company's network, or set up e new network. I have a broadband connection plugged into the ethernet port on my pc, and it will not register it as being connected. Help please!

You need to download the ethernet driver for your computer. Is it a brand or custom built?

Go to the manufacturer's website (on another computer), put in the make/model number, download the ethernet driver(s) to USB, then load them on your computer.

The ethernet port on my pc right now is the one that is built into the pc. I don't know the brad name. If I look at my device manager will it show up there?

---------- Post added at 08:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:23 PM ----------

Nevermind on that device manager, WinXP doesn't have it. I have a Dell Optiplex GX620, do you know what brand makes that modem?

I congratulate you in choosing Windows XP.

Download a program called CPU-Z, install it, then run it.

Go into the "Mainboard" Tab and your motherboard model will show up.

Google that with the word "Drivers" in search terms. Dont go onto the dead results (page 2 and up).

This is how I do it, and 90% of the time it works without a flaw.

You have to run the wizard. Set up a new network and you should see the option to connect through a LAN.

I got it to work, my tech uncle helped me lol thanks for your support though guys! I do have another problem though, so ill make a new thread about it named "Dell Optiplex Sound Problem"

Back
Top Bottom