SSD vs HDD

Mossiac

In Runtime
Hi guys.

Basically I want to know which is better all round. Advantages and disadvantages of both as well.

I had a look on google and there wasn't anything concrete.

Mossiac

The number one pro of an ssd over an hdd is performance.

The number one con against ssd over hdd is cost per gigabyte.

Virtually everything else is a wash or not enough of a difference to worry about.

I don't know about better all around. I have heard very good arguments for both sides of the SSD vs. HDD debate and really I believe that it comes down to what you are going to use it for and if the cost of the SSD is worth the increase in performance.
SSDs are way more expensive than there HDD counterparts but they do have superior transfer and RW speeds. If you are a performance nut these are the drives for you. I have read a few articles saying that extended excessive use of SSDs causes corruption due to a myriad of factors but the day to day use of the average consumer shouldn't be and issue and really what computer doesn't eventually eat it?
HDDs are a tried and true tech that has been around for a long time so the tech is quite polished and the best part CHEAP. Though they can suffer from mechanical failure it is pretty rare these days but you get what you pay for. Yes they are slower but not life-endingly so. They are sufficient for just about everything and you can even get higher performance HDDs i.e. the raptor 10,000 rpm series.
Really like I said it depends. I run a standard HDD 7200 TB Seagate in my gaming rig and it does the job just fine.

SSD has a limited life span that is a fraction of the life of a taken care of hard drive.
Bear in mind all an SSD is is a large econo sized flash drive. After so many operations it goes kaput. A hard drive that is taken care of will run for decades.
If you use the SDD as the primary drive in your system and do a lot of hard drive intensive operations, the SSD will reach its MTBF and all your data will be gone along with your OS.
While less prone to impact damage or impact related failure, The cost factors by the gig are still too much unless you have a design need for it.

SSD has a limited life span that is a fraction of the life of a taken care of hard drive.
Bear in mind all an SSD is is a large econo sized flash drive. After so many operations it goes kaput. A hard drive that is taken care of will run for decades.
If you use the SDD as the primary drive in your system and do a lot of hard drive intensive operations, the SSD will reach its MTBF and all your data will be gone along with your OS.
While less prone to impact damage or impact related failure, The cost factors by the gig are still too much unless you have a design need for it.

That is not entirely accurate.

While it is true that SSDs have a finite amount of write cycles, it is a very large number. If you use an SSD as your system drive, it will take a very long time to reach that number. Most SSDs incorporate wear leveling to extend the life of the media. A 240GB SSD would commonly have 256GB of flash memory. The extra 16GB is for wear leveling.

Basically, a modern SSD's lifespan is comparable to that of a mechanical hard drive.

Whether you use an SSD or an HDD, it is always a good idea to have a backup of all of your data.

OhSnapWord already addressed the wear leveling aspects that increase the lifetime of an ssd to become very close to that of an hdd, however I would like to point out that once a memory cell reaches it's finite number of write cycles the data is NOT lost and the drive does not go "kaput". The cell simply becomes read only.

More than likely, the ssd will be replaced with a larger/faster/newer model long before the max number of write cycles is reached.

Last edited:
Good points made by everyone.

SSD's are faster and generally speaking shock proof, however they do cost a lot more than a HDD and they DO have a limited number of writes.

HDD's are a lot cheaper per Gb and still have respectable performance.

As per the current discussion the number of writes on an SSD drive shouldn't really be a problem for the average user, however if you were to plan on running anything that made lots of reads and writes to the hard disc like SQL server then this could become a problem.

strollin said:
OhSnapWord already addressed the wear leveling aspects that increase the lifetime of an ssd to become very close to that of an hdd, however I would like to point out that once a memory cell reaches it's finite number of write cycles the data is NOT lost and the drive does not go "kaput". The cell simply becomes read only.

More than likely, the ssd will be replaced with a larger/faster/newer model long before the max number of write cycles is reached.
I agree with what he said, SSD's are mainly for Os and apps. Keep writing to a bare minimal, like temp. files.

Back
Top Bottom