CPU upgrade.

Missouri Bound

Beta member
Hello...I'm new here and I think that this forum is just what I need.
I need to upgrade my cpu to faster than 3 ghz and I see several processors out there which fit that criteria. I know that my socket is a 775LGA and that processors are motherboard specific. But will any processor work for me? My motherboard is a Foxconn H-Ig4!-UATX and currently using a Celeron Conroe-L 2.20 ghz. I've looked at several charts and found few which are no longer available. I did find a D 930 3ghz made by Intel (SL94R) is the reference model number. Can anyone tell me if this is appropriate for what i am doing? Thanks.:)

Your best bet is to upgrade the motherboard to a more modern platform. Finding an LGA 775 CPU will be a chore.

Thank you for the quick response. However upgrading the motherboard on the computer is not an option. It's more than I care to spend.

It's a micro ATX which means due to it's compact size the size of the heatsink is limited. The faster you go the more heat that is generated and the more efficent a heatsink needs to be. And that means bigger. The LGA775 is the P4 socket. Like OhSnapWoed said, it's going to be a PITA to find cpu chips and efficent heatsinks that fit that board.

OhSnap.... I'm thinking I may be better off following your suggestion after all. Here's another question...will all motherboards fit my tower? I have an HP Pavillion, P7 1010t, and as you may have guessed I haven't dont this before. I have changed hard drives and disc drives in the past, and increased memory on some computers but nothing that involved removing the motherboard. Thanks for any advice you can give me.:confused:

A micro atx board is what you should be aiming for. Can probably get hold of one for under £300.

When you find any post a link and we shall be able to help.

How much is your total budget?

You might not be able to transplant a different board into that case because of the proprietary front panel connectors.

You might want to look into building a whole new system and reuse the existing drives. New case, RAM, motherboard, CPU and PSU. For about $400, you could have the basis of a machine that would be more than capable of moderate gaming. You might not be able to play modern titles on the highest of settings but you'll be able to play modern titles at 1920x1080 with reasonably high settings at playable framerates,

Case: Newegg.com - Antec Three Hundred Illusion Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
PSU: Newegg.com - SeaSonic M12II 620 Bronze 620W ATX12V V2.3 / EPS 12V V2.91 SLI Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply
Motherboard: Newegg.com - ASRock FM2A85X Extreme6 FM2 AMD A85X (Hudson D4) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard
CPU: Newegg.com - AMD A10-5800K Trinity 3.8GHz (4.2GHz Turbo) Socket FM2 100W Quad-Core Desktop APU (CPU + GPU) with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 7660D AD580KWOHJBOX
RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-14900CL9D-8GBXL

Down the road you can add a dedicated graphics card, better CPU cooling, SSD and just over time make it a very capable gaming rig.

Back
Top Bottom