cannot reset password - win 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

infernalis

Baseband Member
This one is killing me...

I have a customer's Inspiron 1545 laptop and the kid forgot his windows login password.

normally no big deal I just run the Linux cd boot and clear the SAM file.

however this one is not cooperating, the linux is finding completely different login accounts.

I cleared all the passwords, but when I reboot to windows, it still is password protected.

it's as if there are two sets of SAM files, and Linux is finding the wrong ones.

I cannot back up his "my documents" folder until I can get into the drive.

any ideas??

you can his documents off by connecting the hard disk to a working computer I assume you have one other you can use remove the hard disk from the pc and add it to a hard disk caddy,

then locate his files searching the hard disk for example C:\Documents and Settings\DAN\Desktop

and get all his documents that way.

what version of windows is he running XP, Vista or windows 7 also 32bit or 64bit.

Kind Regards

Win7 64

Access denied. I already tried the obvious. ;)

He marked the folder "private"

In discussion with another IT guy, he said there is a virus that messes with the SAM folder.

If all else fails, the owner is ready to accept that his "My Documents" may be gone forever, because of the nature of the problem, I will most likely delete the partitions and run a deep level format before I re-install everything.

I wonder if I can crack his documents under linux?? any tips?

in cmd type

net user - this will bring up all user accounts on the computer.

then type

net user "username" *

then press enter 2 times to clear the password.

Now ain't this a little strange? Forgot password and locked files.
You guys know you're not supposed to discuss this.

A part of the locking of files involves securing the files using the user SID,
Backing up the files to external media won't help, they'll still be locked.
forcibly resetting the password doesn't help either.

Even if you made a new admin account, and looked at the security snap-in and reset the password then you'd see the warning that the file security is tied to the password as well as the account.

And EVEN IF there was a way around it, the rules are pretty clear that you cannot/must not ask/tell how to circumvent security.

Yes it sucks that you're running a computer shop, and do not have the know how to fix your customers computer, but in this instance it's just unfortunate the way that you phrased your question meant that any advice on how to reset the security of accounts breaks the forum rules.

The fact that you just wanted the files meant that you should have phrased your question in such a way as to ask how to retrieve the files. -which is why the advice on how to retrieve files still exists and has not been removed.

regarding your PM.
It's very unfortunate that you cannot fix your customers computer, that sucks.

In my opinion what suck more is that you clearly work in a shop professing to offer services that you just can't. someone has entrusted their machine to you on the understanding that you know how to get the job done.

Or of course, what sucks even more than that (given that nobody knows you etc) is that you could be a guy with a cheating wife who's trying to see files in her account. (say MSN chat logs). or browser history.
or you might not even have a wife. it might be your girlfriend/boyfriend that you're trying to get their files.

what would suck worse than you having to tell your customer that they would need to find a different shop to have their machine repaired. (or send off to a data recovery firm etc) would be telling people exactly how to remove security measures.

You've not chosen the wrong place to ask for help at all.
This forum is welcoming of all people and tries to help all people.

but we just can't offer advice on breaking security/hacking/removing passwords etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom