How do OEM of computers install the drivers?

leonard787

Baseband Member
How do OEMs like Dell, HP, Acer, etc. install the drivers before the OS is setup? Wouldn't they need the OS or someother tool to install the drivers?

That didn't answer the question he asked.
An image of the entire system including the junk software, all the drivers, and all partitions is created and saved on a cloning machine. It's called ghosting.
Hard drives by the score are plugged in to this machine and the image is transfered onto the blank drive. The drive is installed in the system and it's ready to be turned on the first time.
For builders and end users there's the unattended installer software. You make the disc on another machine. You point it to the drivers you downloaded for the system you're building. Then you burn a disc with all that on it.
You set the boot device to the optical drive, pop in the installer disc, and reboot.
The installer disc will tell you to put the OS disc in the drive. Then walk away.
It takes a while for it to get finished. When it's done you have a working system.

ISO image is what most OEM's use.... Primary reason it is quick to load a new PC.

You can do the same once you have every thing loaded on your computer
eg/ use a program like Nortons ghost to produce an iso image.

I have many updated versions of ISO images of my computer software/programs/drivers just in case something happens, and it is a quicker method to reload your PC.

A large chain hotel I managed had its own tech support and the front desk software we used was in house from them. Whenever they had an upgrade they sent a disc to us and we called them when we got it. They backed up our data to their servers and we popped in the disc. The ghost disc loaded up and over wrote the hard drive completely.
Then the tech downloaded our data and put us back in service.
It's a great system.

Well something like RT Se7en Lite is almost perfect, you can customize the installation of Windows 7 exactly they way I need it. I am not talking about restoring a PC after a crash, I'm talking about building a PC, and installing the drivers at the same time as the OS, without having to have it setup to install them.

It's just a slipstream disc maker. We used slipstream a lot when XP first came out. Made installing XP with service packs a breeaze.
That program you're looking at does basicly the same thing. You set it up how you want it then make the slipstream iso disc and use that to install win7 on the new box.

Back
Top Bottom