Project thread - Updated

What software shoudl "the project" make?

• I want to see Blog software be made

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I want to see a Reviews site (software not content) be made

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

root

Site Team
Staff member
It's been a week since Scc456 posted a thread to kickstart a project.
http://www.computerforums.org/forums/social-lounge-off-topic/project-220762.html

I thought I'd start a new thread so that it's a little more inviting for new people to read.

So far people saying that they are interested in the project are as follows:
Scc456
BK123
deepesh1193
Vampist
root (me)
OhSnapWorld
Celegorm
iPwn
rowcon123
FujitsuTechnician

Setishock has joined the group, but not said in the thread that he's definitely "in"
Berry120 has said he doesn't have the time to be "in" but will happily offer advice and assistance when he can in regards coding challenges. (and if you look at the continued contributions he makes to the coding section I'm sure this will be pretty invaluable.

There is a group on this forum http://www.computerforums.org/forums/groups/cf-group-project/
where I expect the majority of discussions will take place.

I believe that the license type that everyone seems most keen on at the minute is open source.

What the actual project is is still open for discussion. I've pulled all the ideas from the two threads, (one here one on group discussion) and listed the software projects on this page.

If you're included in the project please vote for what you want to make, if you're not included in the project please vote for what you want to see.

poll votes are public,
multiple choices are allowed.
the poll will expire in seven days. (I think that 7 days is enough to get all discussion out of the way?)

so next friday (18th), the discussion will be who is in, what are the skills etc
the following friday (25th) I guess we should start deciding who will do what in the project setting up source repositories etc

then a week after that 1st feb, we'll actually start moving on creating code

Last edited:
Every project needs an outside observer. I'm not an idiot when it comes to coding but to be honest, my skills are limited. Therefore I submitt to be the resident critic and beta tester.

I feel that a blog and reviews site software are one in the same.

True, the fundamental editors/page layouts etc would be the same and data base structure.

The difference would be in the way in which posts are categorised and sorted, blogs usually come strictly by date whilst a review site would offer more options for sorting by category or tag.

Hey guys, currently getting my roadband switched over to fibre optic 40 down 20 up :D nice bandwidth and upload for hosting stuff for this.

Down side I'm offline for a while and my phone is simply too frustrating to type any meaningful responses on!

Will post from work on Monday and fibre should be on soon!

See you soon!

Yeah let's stick with good old software projects :)

I know it's early days but it's interesting that the most votes goes to I want to create blog software but not many people want to see it be created . . . . .

Anyways, let's see how the pole comes along and revisit shortly.

I think the longer it takes to get started, the quicker people will ultimately lose interest. Why not have the involved parties hop on Skype and hash it out in a group chat or call?

It's one thing to plan things out and it's another to talk about doing something for too long before action is taken.

EDIT: Furthermore, I gave it some thought and I think I could set some time aside to become involved in a project. I think it's a positive learning experience to work with different people in the industry and it could be fun. Though I personally can't say I'd be interested many months down the line. I think it'd be in our best interest to get started while the hype is still high.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom