Which is better for gaming? *New to computers and forum*

When it was me, I went with a cheaper intel build and then saved up for a really nice gpu. If you didn't play battlefield, I'd say go with a dual core i3, then put the money saved toward a nice gpu, but bf3 is pretty processor heavy.
If you live near a MicroCenter pick up the processor there and you can save like $50 since they sell them as 'loss leaders'.

ASRock Z75 Pro3 LGA 1155 Intel Z75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard is there a cheaper alternative to this? I've almost completed my custom build list but i need to drop like 20$

---------- Post added at 05:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:40 PM ----------

@Cortb you may have saved me 50$ what's a loss leader? A part that's no longer best? As long as they're not repackaged/damaged then I have a Microcenter nearby

Thanks a lot @Oats and everyone else. Here's my current build.
Power Supply:
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus 500w 40$/
CPU:
Intel Core i-5 190$ 150$ at microcenter/
RAM:
G.Skill Ripjaws 8GB 47$/
Mother Board:
ASRock H77M LGA 1155 Intel H77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard 70$/
Hard Drive:
Seagate Barracuda 1TB 90$/
Video Card:
AMD 7770 Graphics Card 120$/
Optical Drive:
Lite-On Internal DVD Writer 18$/
Case:
CoolerMaster Elite 430 40$/
Windows 7 100$/
It comes out to $670 if I did my math correctly with the 150$ processor. However my brother was supposed to split the cost with me and my parents borrowed his money so he currently has 100$ in his account haha. Assuming he won't be paid back until after taxes are due, I'm guessing some of these items will hopefully drop in price like windows 7. Hopefully, probably not likely...

Looks good.

If you are ok with a 500GB hard drive you could drop that down to about $60 and upgrade the Radeon 7770 to a Geforce 650 Ti.

you may also be able to get 8GB of RAM for $40.

Loss leader is a sales term used to describe a practice of selling one product at so large of a discount that the store actually looses money on it. They do it in the hopes of attracting more customers, and to entice you to buy other parts there. They are the same CPU you'd get from newegg tigerdirect etc. you just can't buy it online, you have to go into the store.

Spend the money you save on a hd 7770 and you'll be set to play most games at medium. Also depending on where you buy the case, expect to spend $25-$50 on case fans to keep this thing cool, maybe a heatsink too as intel's aren't that great. You should be fine with a stock configuration until late spring.

Well 500gb shouldn't be bad I'll probably never fill it right? or wrong? And is the 650 ti noticeably better? Yeah I'll be upgrading the heat sink eventually and then spending some on fans as I've seen them cheap. I also just found out the CM 430 has terrible cable management so I may be looking at a more expensive case (by 10-15$) or a better 40$ one. And as far as the processor they definitely drew me in as a customer haha

I am only using 155GB atm and I have probably never used over 250GB in my life. I have a few hundred songs, about 4 different games, and a bunch of small programs like Skype and Guitar Pro installed. 1TB is mainly for people who store a bunch of movies and perhaps thousands of songs which you can also use an external hard drive or an extra internal hard drive for.

The 650 Ti should be noticeably better but not by a huge amount. I'd say 7-10 FPS higher or maybe more depending on your graphic settings and the resolution you are using. For a strict budget PC I'd start with a 7770. If you can downgrade something not as important like the hard drive and bump the GPU up to a 650 Ti with the money you saved, do it since the most important component for a gaming PC is the GPU.

there are plenty of other cases at $40 that are good but w/e looks good to you and can fit a mATX motherboard which most ATX chassis do. I looked at the CM 430 and I see what you are saying. Most cases have some extra open slots in the middle right side for better cable management but this one didn't.

Also, if you don't overclock you probably won't need an aftermarket heatsink.

I use mine as a DVR, and I can fit about 1500 hours of 720p television on my 2tb. If you're really just going for gaming a 128gb SSD should be enough for os and programs. If you find you need more storage you can get the platter based stuff later, but with the ssd you computer will be pretty zippy. Even if you wanted to play games stored on your computer rather than DVD, you'll have about 100 gigs to do so after accounting for the size of the os and basic programs.

Oats is probably right about the heatsink, you'll only need one if the gpu is putting out too much heat into the case, and you can always add one later if you do end up needing it. Just saying, don't forget you're going to have to cool all of this, and that a better gpu is going to put out more heat.

Last edited:
Yeah I won't be over clocking I don't think. I'm just looking for the best cases so it'll probably be a Coolermaster product as they seem to cool very well. I'm also taking your recommendation on a 500 GB and a 650 to in place of the 7770. I guess I've got my build pretty final now thanks to everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom