Google will not load

keithv

Solid State Member
All of our workstations run w7 and our users have roaming profiles. We use IE for internet browsing. Some users have lost access to google.ca. Every other website works fine. I've had some limited success with Microsoft Fixit solutions but those require the user to be an admin and I'm not interested in promoting users to admin status. The issue follows the user from machine to machine but does not affect that machine for other users. Any thoughts on where to look or what to do?

Thanks in advance.

Lost access to google.ca or all sites?

Could you show us the error page?
google.ca I havent had the user try google.com or other iterations of google. The error is nothing extraordinary. The usual Page not found comes up.

Could you ask the affected users to paste google.ca ping results when google.ca is not working?

Could you ask the affected users to paste google.ca ping results when google.ca is not working?
I will give that a whirl tomorrow thanks. If the ping works would a tracert give any extra info that might be useful?

It might help. :)

I am thinking mainly two possibilities right now: some sort of broken redirecting malware that attempts to redirect google.ca access to another site (usually a data mining, phishing, or spam site, but if this malware or the site is broken, then you might have no access); google.ca blocked under Windows hosts file -- sometimes this goes hand-in-hand with a redirecting malware.

check out what the host file reads go in to command prompt and type without qutoes these 2 commands,

"cd C:\windows\System32\drivers\etc"
"type Hosts"

and see if it reads as a normal host file or if there are edits that have been made and let us know.

Kind Regards

Attached should be screenshots of pinging google.ca, tracert google.ca and what the hosts file contains. I do see a 2nd entry in the hosts file but I was unable to edit the host file.

Attachments

• ping.png
    ping.png
    13.9 KB · Views: 4
  • tracert.png
    tracert.png
    26.8 KB · Views: 3
  • hosts.png
    hosts.png
    24.9 KB · Views: 3
Back
Top Bottom