Which is better for gaming? *New to computers and forum*

I think I'll go with option two but with 6gb of ram order a 7770hd gpu and order a 8 or 16gb ram upgrade in a few months this seems to be my best bet. I'll continue searching and look into the power supply and motherboard as stated. If anyone can find a great deal at 610$ max then I'll greatly appreciate it. Or even if you can name a build. I can put one together myself but windows 7 already limits me to a 500$ build.

6 to 8 GB of RAM is perfect. Most people cannot make use of anything higher so no need to upgrade that.

Thank you all for your feedback it has helped a lot. A few last questions.
Can anyone find the power supply of my Intel option? It's a HP p7-1380t series computer I hope to put a radeon 7770 or 7850 in it and need to know if the PSU is strong enough as I don't want to rewire a whole system.

Also is tigerdirect.com a legit site? Has anyone bought from them and had a good process? I ask because I found this Acer Aspire M3 AM3985-UR20P DT.SJQAA.001 Desktop PC - 3rd Gen. Intel Core i5-3450 3.1GHz, 10GB DDR3, 2TB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit, Keyboard & Mouse at TigerDirect.com
It seems so cheap for a good deal. The integrated 4000 graphics would hold me off for a while until I could afford a 7770 or 7850 and yes I'm aware the 4000 graphics are only good for low settings. I won't be playing bf3 on it for sure. Once again will a 300 watt PSU allow room for the two GPUs mentioned?

Alright I think that's all for now! Thanks everyone for the help again I would've made some bad choices tonight. Hopefully I can return the favors to the forum in the future.

tigerdirect is legit but it doesn't have as good of a reputation as newegg. Also the 300watts might work with a 7770 but it's cutting it real close.

I see 3 good options at the moment.

option 1:
Newegg.com - iBUYPOWER Gamer Power NE769D3 Desktop PC Intel Core i5 3570(3.40GHz) 8GB DDR3 500GB HDD Capacity AMD Radeon HD 7770 1GB Windows 8 64-Bit
even has an i5 and a Radeon 7770 for $650

looks almost too good to be true. I can see it being that much with a good i3, but then again, it was $700 and the $650 is a current sale price. could very well be legit.

option 2:

mess around on ibuypower and see what you can come up with. I recommend basing it off the Intel i3, Intel i5, or an AMD FX-6300 processor
4 to 8 GB of RAM 1600Mhz
500 watt PSU
I got an FX-6300 build down to about $650 but it came with the crappiest GPU they offered which would need an upgrading later.

option 3:

learn how to build your own (it may seem more expensive atm especially when compared to option:1 but it definitely pays off if you have the time). you can give finitpc.com a try to start you off if you wish.

you could build an i5 system for $500 not including the operating system or dedicated graphics card for now.

Last edited:
I don't remember where I read the following: a good number of PSU out there do not deliver what they should after normal usage for a year. So you need to aim higher than your calculated power requirement by 150% to be safe (this is assuming the PSU is at least 80 Plus or better).

he would be better off not getting a Geforce 650 when the Radeon 7770 is basically the same price especially since he plans on playing BF3.

not to mention its about at his budget already and its still missing a few necessary pieces so that alone is probably a deal breaker.

Thought I'd point it out, the i5 OP is looking at does NOT have the hd 4000 graphics, it's got the 2500, which is even less powerful. Without a discrete graphics card he won't be able to play the latest games, even on lowest settings. With the hd 4000, assassins creed 3 was BARELY playable at lowest settings and still skipped and jumped at least twice a minute. In SINGLE PLAYER. >20FPS

The upside of the the AMD processors tho, is that you can use the integrated graphics and a discrete raedeon card simultaneously. So he might get better performance, in the short run at least, from the very first AMD.

Back
Top Bottom