Problem

Celery, Thank you for your assistance. Atho neither of us were quite on the right track, your suggestion that I should attempt to install Win XP upgrade without the install of 98 first, put things in a different light for me. Although I did have to insert the 98 cd at one point. I'm up and running with the install of XP home edition.
During the process, I was instructed that I did not have enough memory for Windows. Knowing that I had 2GB and recognized in bios, rather confused me, but I pulled both 1GB sticks and put in a 512mb and things went smooth from then on. At 76 yrs, I'm still learning. Thanks again! After a rest today, I shall try the 1GB ram one stick at a time and hopefully they will not both be bad.
Bill Noyes :)

That's great Bill, glad it worked.

I don't understand that memory issue though, don't make sense. Weird.

So Bill, I can't find info on your mobo because I'm looking for how much mems it supports. If you have your manual look to see how much mems your board supports. I have a feeling it only see one gig or two 512s.

custom computer.. ASRock - K7841GX Mobo -AMD 2800+ 2GB 2700 DDR -XP home upgrade from 98. 40GB maxtor.

Celery... UPDATE.. I believe I found the problem to the entire mess. When I the removed 512 ram to recheck the 1GB sticks, I noticed that the retaining clip on the number 1 location was hindered from completely opening as it is stopped by the graphic PCI board. I had to finagle the ram in and out from one end only. I suspect that one end of one memory stick was NEVER solidly in place. It looked ok to the eye and felt like it was solidly in place , but was not.
BTW this note is from the questioned computer. :)
Bill

---------- Post added at 02:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:14 PM ----------

The ASRock will handle 2Gb. That is what I'm using now

Ah yes, 2 gigs, that's about right. I upgraded from my AMD X2 3800+ and the MSI mobo only see 2 gigs as well. I had 3 gigs in it not knowing that it only see 2. Duh.

You could've pulled the video card to fix the memory issue. C'mon that's not hard to do hey? :lol:

True, and I considered it, but on this board but putting my video card on either of the two open slots it would still be hitting something. I certainly hope I don't have to remove the ram for any reason again. I'm getting to old for this entertainment.

Back
Top Bottom