Lenovo G570 hinge and subsequent enclosure issues

jrdegaetano

Beta member
Hello All,

Hoping someone can make a recommendation for the situation I'm in:

I was given a Lenovo G570 notebook from a family friend who works at a small private school. She gave it to me because a student had "dropped it" and it had since "stopped working", and she was going to "junk it". Naturally, I wanted to see if this computer could be, if nothing else, used for parts.

Upon receiving it, I found that the only problem with it was a dislodged/loose DC jack. Took the computer apart, reset the jack, and we had lift off. In perfect working condition now that it accepted a charge, and no visible damage to casing.

A few months later, the right side hinge (next to the DC jack) froze up. Every time I would open the lid, the top of the case would separate from the bottom where the hinge was. This would displace the DC jack, but with some tinkering, could get it to accept a charge.

When I first took it apart after the hinge issue, I noticed that the screw on the hinge that is supposed to be secured to a threaded base on the bottom piece of the casing, was slipping out. Wasn't sure how to proceed, so unfortunately I didn't do anything at all.

That threaded piece on the bottom part of the case that is supposed to receive the hinge screw has now broken off completely, and the dc jack looks damaged (the pin won't stay in the dc jack enclosure).

Here are my assumptions (please correct me if I am wrong):

• There's no hope for that laptop casing, and it needs to be replaced if I want this computer to work.
  • If I were to purchase a replacement laptop casing, I may need to buy a new hinge? (I'm thinking this is doubtful, as it seemed that the hinge itself wasn't the problem)
  • I'm 80% sure that I will have to replace the DC jack, regardless of anything else.
Here is my question:

Is it worth the money, given the potential overall cost to repair? (I'm thinking it will cost, at worst, $200)

I have seen my case on eBay, but they are all being sold from China. I'm just a little concerned about buying a replacement OEM case. Is there anywhere else I could get the casing from other than eBay?

Thanks in advance for all of your help!

Take some photos. I've seen that issue before, and it can usually be fixed (albeit in a somewhat ghetto way) with a trip to the hardware store and a bit of ingenuity.

I'll start with the simplest way: Based on where the hinge was originally located, would it be possible to drill all the way through the base of the computer on the same axis?

You'll need to check out the hinge to see if it really needs replacing. You can usually put a pair of pliers onto the base section and rotate it without too much effort. If it's totally frozen as you say, it'll be pretty apparent here.

Last edited:
Take some photos. I've seen that issue before, and it can usually be fixed (albeit in a somewhat ghetto way) with a trip to the hardware store and a bit of ingenuity.

I'll start with the simplest way: Based on where the hinge was originally located, would it be possible to drill all the way through the base of the computer on the same axis?

You'll need to check out the hinge to see if it really needs replacing. You can usually put a pair of pliers onto the base section and rotate it without too much effort. If it's totally frozen as you say, it'll be pretty apparent here.
Thanks for your reply!

Unfortunately I didn't think to take any pictures before I put it back together this last time.

I suppose it would be possible to drill a whole through. What do you have in mind? Sounds kind of extreme.

I have attempted to move the hinge the way you suggested, and it is VERY stiff. Not fluid by any means. Does that mean that I would definitely have to replace the hinge as well?

I was thinking you could run a machine screw through the bottom with a sort of plate to keep it from ripping through the plastic, then attach the hinge to it to hold it in place. I'd need to see photos before saying for sure how i'd do it. I've never done this before as a modification, but it's similar to what I ended up doing on my DIY laptop a while back. Obviously, the best way to fix would be to replace the case, but I'm just throwing this option out there because it's probably what I would do.

Did you happen to try the other hinge to compare? It's kinda hard to tell if you've never felt one that's the proper stiffness. It should be hard to do if you just grab onto the base, but will feel about like a normal laptop lid if you put some pliers or something on to act as a lever, then move the lid itself while holding the base.

EDIT: I just looked on ebay, and it seems they have lots of parts for that laptop at semi-reasonable prices. I'm not entirely sure how it's assembled, but if they just screw into the base like most laptops, you can replace the part for 31.50. Link here. If that's not the right part, just search and you can probably find what you need. Given that the laptop still sells for some $500, this is probably a better route than the DIY option.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom