A Project

What Should We Do?

• Total voters
Ok so it looks like it's either a forum or blog software from what I can see.

I see the point around the simplicity of a blog project but at the same time it would be nice to have a relatively simple project which we can set small goals for and see them being achieved! It's never nice to work hours and hours accumulatively and not see any result.

To get an idea of the size of the project let's rough at maybe some features and goals for each.

Then we can look at the time involved and the different phases we will look at.

Phase 1 of either project being get something that works with almost no bells and whistles. Just bog standard then add the features afterwards in phase 2.

Ok features for blog and features for forum:

Off we go. I'll post some suggestions tomorrow (when I don't have just an annoying iPad to type on!)

I don't have the time to be involved at this time, but I recommend putting together a real structure to everything. Working on a project can be fun -- building an application without a fragment of structure is not.

Not only should you put together a structure of whom will manage each portion, but each member whom is involved needs to be honest about their experience. For example, it's easy to say that you can code -- though producing proper and efficient code is different.

Best of luck!

EDIT: In terms of structure, I'd recommend having a project manager whom can assign tasks and manage timing and deployment. Not only should you have an SVN in place, but you should be using something like trello.com to assign tasks to each person and try to schedule it out appropriately.

Yes we need a structure like as to who will manage what part, We have ideas of what people could be doing as they have listed there skills..

Yeah, it sounds like it can go very well. Hopefully the involved members can keep the community here up to date with the progress.

If it were me, I'd also look into protecting the code should someone decide that they're going to take it and run one day (with intent to sell, of course). Not that I think it would happen, but it's all about being cautious.

You guys just have to plan everything out and management is key. Normally with this many people on a single project, the team would be working from a single office and everything would be maintained internally. Since you guys are all over the world, you have a few difficulties to overcome but it's certainly possible!

I'm going to say.
A forum is big, possibly toooooooo big.

A blog is easy. It's true that all you need for a blog is an editor. A simple database, a comment system that keeps track of what post comments are attached to. And a way for editors to log in. Maybe collaborative blog software would enable many contributors with approving editors having greater control of a blog.

ALL that stuff is needed on a forum too.

So I still think start small, most blog code could be ported to a second project that could be a blog.

So far as protecting the source. My personal opinion is make it open source with source on git or source forge.

I'd be happy to write commercial software though and have source privately controlled.

I will join but not much good at anything but happy to learn

Why not make a minecraft server and make a website to go with it :)

Back
Top Bottom