32 bit or 64 bit OS?

In short a 32 bit OS can only address 3.5GB of RAM no matter if the CPU can address more or not. A 64 bit OS can address up to 16TB of RAM.

I don't know if a 64 bit OS is better for gaming, It should not matter, the OS code is the same in a 64 bit or 32 bit OS - until you come to the RAM addressing. (Hey tech heads, is the last statement correct?)

The only difference between 32 and 64 (and this comes from my OS teacher) is the amount of RAM the OS can handle.

I don't know if a 64 bit OS is better for gaming, It should not matter, the OS code is the same in a 64 bit or 32 bit OS - until you come to the RAM addressing. (Hey tech heads, is the last statement correct?)

The only difference between 32 and 64 (and this comes from my OS teacher) is the amount of RAM the OS can handle.

64bit is better for gaming as newer games are requiring more ram..

Correct me if I'm wrong but 64bit is much better than 32bit. In my understanding this relates to the data the processor can handle in one cycle. A 64bit can thus handle double the data a 32bit can in one cycle. Theoretically doubling the speed at which data is processed. Hope that makes sense.

KH Sup said:
Correct me if I'm wrong but 64bit is much better than 32bit. In my understanding this relates to the data the processor can handle in one cycle. A 64bit can thus handle double the data a 32bit can in one cycle. Theoretically doubling the speed at which data is processed. Hope that makes sense.

You are right as 64bit OS's can can handle better processing speeds..

I don't know that a 64 bit can handle twice the data of the 32 bit per cycle. Data processing is done with the CPU and the buss. What a 64 bit can do is address more memory which is 2^64 while a 32 bit only address 2^32.

Ever tried to upgrade your OS from 32 to 64? Can't be done, has to be clean install.

Back
Top Bottom