A Project

What Should We Do?

• Total voters
Apologies, to "create something from scratch" is a typical English (maybe American as well) term.

It relates to creating something from the start, not using any existing templates or models, starting with a blank piece of paper (or web page in this case) and writing all of the code ourselves.

Start from scratch

Well just to add to the list for myself. I did take SQL and Java courses in college. I still dabble in both. Not... overly confident in Java. But I can follow/use it. SQL is a cake walk, db design is obviously much harder. =P

Experience tells me that forum software is too big for a loose project.

it took about six - nine months to get working/stable forum software last time we tried it.
by which time the people that agreed to be testers had lost interest!
and the results were still very much alpha software.

The forum software was named dot Omega.
I googled it, and found people asking for help using code that I wrote! (very weird, I think the project was alive then, why not just ask me?)

num rows not working? - Third Party PHP Scripts - PHP Freaks
there's a thread with a half working forum display page, completely useless without the files included. I seem to remember that there was attribution headers, which this poster seems to have removed. in fact they are changed from GPL to say that it's commercial.
(in fact I definitely remember that particular page was finished.)

I'd suggest finishing that project but...
dotOmega Forum System - Browse Files at SourceForge.net
there are no files associated with the project. I can't remember where I put the source. most of the original development team is no longer here.

also the market for free forum software is already pretty bloated, there are tons of very mature, very stable forum software packages.

Blog software would be pretty cool. (also I think that the turn around would be much faster, so the chances of ending 2013 with quality software is much greater)

My personal preference would be PHP because it's open source, but I'm pretty sure that learning C# would be a nice challenge. (I like C style languages)

My forte is more in hardware.
I like the sound of a hardware project.
The only trouble is that it may require expertise past coding so is a bit exclusive.
it'd be pretty cool to create an automated what's your weather like thread, where we may design and build very simple weather stations to create a network of citizen weather stations.
Home automation would be pretty cool too. where you may divide the project into people who want to work with hardware to do the actual switching, those who want to write firmware, and those who want to write control software, (that may be run on computers, or android phones/iphones etc). (or even just as a web app)

Hardware projects are also (invariably) going to require that people purchase hardware so that adds a cost barrier to people joining the project.
As much as I would love to do a joint/distributed hardware project. I can't see it happening. Whilst I'm sure that we can all agree that home automation is good. not everyone can actually implement it.

Monitoring also sounds good. what sort of monitoring are we talking about? computer/server monitoring (in software) or environmental monitoring?

A game would be kind of cool. but can we all decide on a genre? when we say puzzle game are we talking sliding puzzle solitaire? minesweeper?

So far for me the winners for good project ideas are:
blog software
or some kind of hardware project.

As much as I would love to take on a hardware project i'm not sure we have the experience or knowledge here to get going (I certainly don't).

A hardware project does sound appealing though, if there are other guys in here who have a decent amount of knowledge id be happy to take part in some other way?

Blog software does sound good to me, it's my personal preference but let's give it a couple of days and see if there are any more people willing to join or with any other ideas.

I have experience with Xbees and Arduinos. I am no engineer, but I do consider electronics to be a hobby.

I use the Arduino IDE that's why C isn't really a strength of mine.

I'm in.*

Here's what I can provide:

Design layout - My specialty over the years has been the user experience. In another post I mentioned a job opportunity. It was as a private consultant doing personal technology integration. I can think like a user, so can help design GUI (if any) layout/features/benefits.

Sales - I've written sales training for Qwest Residential that increased sales by a sustained 250%. If we can get something marketable in place, I can help sell it.

Resources - In the short time I've been at my job, I've been able to get a lot of people 'in my pocket' who are willing to help with any questions I have. If there's a question (Marketing/Development (SQL/DB Design/C#/CSS/HTML(x).NET (3.5-4.5)) /eCommerce/SEO) I can get it answered.

Web Storage - I purchased my own site about a week ago. I am all paid up for a year. 10GB storage/Unlimited Bandwidth. If there's something you want setup on it, I can create FTP accounts that point to specific folders.

Project Planning - I can help with the project planning part of it as well as decision making. I have become fairly decent with Microsoft Project Pro and have a 2013 license. Running IT projects is what I do M-F. If nothing else, I can create timelines etc.

* My life is busy. I work 40+ hrs/wk, attend school full time and have a family of four. I'll do what I can, but can't give you any kind of schedule.

I want to give you guys a better understanding of what I can offer.

Long Island Computer Repair - Long Island PC Solutions: Solutions for your PC problems

This is the web site for my business. I built the layout in Dreamweaver as I have gotten lazy over the years. I used to hand code back when CSS was in its infancy and tables ruled the layout world.

All navigation on the site is inserted by a PHP include. That is basically the extent of my PHP knowledge.

The news section is powered by Wordpress while the rest of the site is not.

I coded the site in XHTML Transitonal and actually got it to pass validation with flying colors. That is, until I added widgets for social networking.

Quick rundown of programming languages I have worked in:

HTML
CSS
JavaScript
VBScript
VB.Net

My web host give me 300GB of disk space with 3TB of bandwidth. I would be willing to share that.

Back
Top Bottom