Can an ethernet splitter connect 3 laptops for a lan game?

sneaky1

Baseband Member
If I have 3 laptops and all have a game installed which supports lan.
If I connect a Ethernet cable to laptop A, then in the other end of the cable, attach a Ethernet splitter
Everydaysource Light Beige RJ45 1x2 Ethernet Connector Splitter: Amazon.ca: Electronics

Then connect two more ethernet cables from the splitter to laptop B and C, will this allow the 3 laptops to connect together for a lan game? (Assuming laptop A is hosting the game)

NOTE: This Ethernet splitter allows two computers to share one Ethernet line ONE AT A TIME, but it doesnt support both computer to connect onto the internet simultaneously

Need a switch.

for some reason a long time ago, someone decided that the standard ethernet cable should have 8 connections, (brown, green, Orange Blue and those same colours with white stripes on them)
however they also decided that only the green and orange would actually be used.

so, where there are wired networks some bright spark came up with the idea, hey, why don't I send one set of signals down the green/orange pair, and then send a different set down the brown/blue pair so that all eight conductors are used, and I don't need to rip holes in my office wall to route new cables.

gigabit networking however does use all 8 conductors. (so these passive splitters don't even work any more)

to connect three machines together you'll need either a hub or a switch (and three cables).

Or if all the machines have wireless then can all connect to the same wireless access point.

if your home internet has wireless, a lot of wireless routers come with 4 port switches built into them. (so you could just plug all the PC's into that.)

Would this work?

For the first port on an Ethernet switch (meant to connect to a router or modem), if I connect an Ethernet cable there instead and the other end goes to a laptop (which is hosting a LAN game), then connect 2 more laptops which to the next two Ethernet ports on the switch, can they play a LAN game (and no laptops are connected to the internet)?

See this image for what I am talking about:
Lb6mq.png

Last edited:
Or if you really want to you can try to bridge the connections from computer to computer. Hah. I'm going to try that with 3 computers

@CrackerJacker, Im still confused, so can my idea (described in my previous post) work?

don't use the router socket.

just use three of the ordinary LAN sockets.

you sort of can get it to work using the router sockets and Lan sockets mixed, but it's going to be a pain.

Back
Top Bottom