A Project

What Should We Do?

• Total voters

ssc456

Fully Optimized
Hey Guys,

I'm just wondering if any of you guys would be interested in starting a little project together.

I know this has been attempted at least once before in the CF history and failed, but there is no reason why we can't try again and make it work this time.

I don't have anything particular in mind at the moment, it could be anything, a website, a game, flash based game, fault logging system, analysis system, reporting system etc. We can brainstorm once we find out who is interested.

We wouldn't just need programmers and developers, we could do with some design guys, maybe a little advertising guys like social media type people, run any FB or twitter accounts?

Before we come up with a project idea, let's find out if you are interested, post what your skills are, what you can bring to the table and what kind of commitment you can offer the project.

I don't mind putting in a bit of cash for online storage or hosting my own FTP server 24/7 or paying for a domain name etc, i'm not talking dedicated private servers but you know £15 a month or so for some cheap online space with unlimited bandwidth.

I'm not hoping for anything commercial or any kind of profitable gain out of this. It's purely for putting our skills to a good use and seeing what we can come up with.

Excellent, we have 1!

What would you be interesting in helping out with? (I know it's difficult to tell without an actual idea of a project but. . . . )

Perhaps a better question is what are your best skills?

ssc456 said:
Excellent, we have 1!

What would you be interesting in helping out with? (I know it's difficult to tell without an actual idea of a project but. . . . )

Perhaps a better question is what are your best skills?

Well I have very good skills when it comes to advertising on Facebook and twitter, a bit of website editing, I am sure everyone will be pitch in everywhere..

I am also interested but I don't have such skills.. I am good in programming logic not very good but I use to make programs on C n C++.. I am on the learning stage but can help you though..
And for social media I could help by posting on Facebook..

Welcome aboard Deepesh, i'm hoping we will get some more interest and the forum is just a little quiet at the minute?

Once we know who is going to be involved we can look at what skills we have available, then decide on what type of project and what language path we will be heading down.

I'm interested.

I work in PHP, CSS, and HTML mostly. I have a degree in system and network management. I would also be willing to host a virtual machine for HTTP, FTP, etc.
I don't have great speeds but about 13mb down and 2mb up. (supposed to be 20/5)
I rarely ever go offline, but it does happen.

the last project I was involved in here was the production of forum software, (that was with Lord Kalthorn, AMD Zen and a few others if I recall correctly, (can't remember the whole team). (it was about 7 years ago!)

that went surprisingly well actually. we basically got usable working forum software in which you could create accounts, log in, make posts etc, customise areas of the layout.
The project fell apart, (as far as I remember) because we all just got a bit too busy.

However one piece of advice.
someone needs to be a project manager and hand out the instructions. all too often I believe we ran into what were effectively management issues because none of use really took the lead effectively. we'd have two people working independently on the same features. both coming back with working features that we then had to decide upon.

that's a waste of time and effort for one person. it can also be that it might be a persons only contribution to the project so far, and it gets completely ignored because someone else was working on the same thing.
then that person doesn't feel appreciated and may not contribute again. (also a project manager does need some experience of managing projects not just having watched the apprentice a few times)

second piece of advice, don't let the project manager completely control for project, I know that sounds crazy. but it's a collaborative effort, it's not going to be a lot of fun if you have someone trying to set deadlines on your free time.

Third piece of advice, even the most dedicated members are not going to care about certain bits.
for the forum software project, I was having fun creating forum software, I could not care less about how it was marketed, or what style sheets were used. my expertise, (and passions for the project) were entirely in coding the back end.
when people started talking about how things should look or how things should be marketed or advertised etc. I just switched off.

I kind of feel I'm too busy to get involved heavily.
but I wouldn't mind doing something in my spare time.

I'll sort of tentatively say I'm in, but know that I don't have a lot of time to dedicate to this. and I can't guarantee that I'm going to be able to return a lot of work to the project.

Reactions: J03
Back
Top Bottom