Clone a dead PC to a virtual/new pc?

DillonU

Solid State Member
Hi guys, not sure if what I'm looking for actually exists, but is there a decent (and preferably free) way to convert a non-booting windows drive to either another computer with dissimilar hardware, or a virtual machine? In my job we often encounter scenarios where this would be so helpful.

I've got this to work only once, by converting a macrium image to a .vhd, then using the Fix HDC tool on a hirens CD. But with all other machines it hasn't worked, or needs the system to be bootable. I've tried acronis with no luck as well.

Has anyone done this before with better success?

Hi Dillon

Try DriveImage XML (Private Edition - Freeware)

DriveImage XML enables you create a complete backup image of any logical drive or partition, allowing to to restore your entire operating system along with installed programs, user settings, registry and all. You can restore the image later to the same or a different drive, and also choose to copy the drive directly to another one. The program includes an image explorer that lets you open previously created backup images and extract individual files.
DriveImage XML can use volume locking or Volume Shadow Services (VSS) to create the backup image from within Windows, without the need to reboot. The program stores your images in .dat files, using XML format, allowing you to process them with 3rd party applications.

Dillon,
not ever done this really as had no need any computers that went wrong we just fixed them so they work again, but you could try norton ghost which is priced around £25.00 on amzon.co.uk and allows you to make images you can then use the same program to reclone maybe woth a look.

Click Here

Kind Regards

Back
Top Bottom