Computer Not reading SATA Ports

baseball7

Solid State Member
This is an old build that i took apart about a year ago. I bought a new HDD for it since i used my other HDD for my current build.
specs:
Core i5 2300
MSI p67-c43a
Barracuda 250 or 500gb HDD, (cant remember)
Generic cd-rom

The computer starts up fine, but when i let it run, it comes to a screen that says something about a shell. I've never even heard of this, but whenever i go into the BIOS, it says that none of my sata ports have anything connected to them. I have checked and rechecked the two connections of the HDD and the optical drive and have also used 6 different wires for each. I've looked through both the manual and the BIOS to try and find a place to "activate" or "enable" the sata ports. << thats the only solutions i have been able to find by searching around the internet.

Anyone? Please.. Thanks ahead of time.

First of all, clear cmos. There will either be a button or jumper on the board for this, or you can just unplug it, pull the cmos battery, then push the power button once and wait a while.

Pull the drive from your other computer and plug it in using a known good sata cable. If that works, rule out the other cable being bad, then RMA the drive. If it doesn't work, RMA the motherboard.

Last edited:
Pull the drive from your other computer and plug it in using a known good sata cable. If that works, rule out the other cable being bad, then RMA the drive. If it doesn't work, RMA the motherboard.

RMA meaning return it? even though i got the parts like when they were brand new? cause i think the warranty has expired :/

You have to do it through the manufacturer's website. Newegg only warranties for thirty days to prevent you from getting items that are defective straight out of the box.

soo, i reset the CMOS, and it worked for like a day.. but now its back to not reading the sata ports... and ive tried reseting the CMOS again with no avail.. should i just try and send it back to the manufacturer?

i have had that happen when a faulty device was connected to the sata port. In my case it was a bad hard drive.

well ive tried 2 different hdds... at the same time and either one or the other... soemtiems i can see them in BIOS but the majority of the time i cant.. its frustrating me..

Back
Top Bottom