4 year old computer

DaveO

Solid State Member
I have a Compaq Presario F 700 laptop that is around 4 years old. Lately the fully charged battery only lasts about 1 1/2 hours or so. Is the battery dying. I don't remember it only lasting that long when new. I am thinking of replacing it with a Toshiba Portege R835-p94 laptop. It runs at 2.5GHZ and has a 640GB HD with 4GB of ram. It also has a CD drive. The only thing I have heard bad about it is that the cover is flimsey and you can crack the LCD if you are not careful. Another comment is that the hinges are not very sturdy. It is around $ 599 with Windows 7. I think you get a coupon to upgrade it to Windows 8 for $ 15.

Having used Windows 8 for a bit, I hate it. The interface is clearly much more tablet oriented than desktop oriented (whether it's actually any good on a tablet is another story) and I really, really don't like the new metro interface. Sucks awfully. My 2p is stick with Windows 7 at least for now.

In terms of the battery, yes that's perfectly normal for it to start dying at that age - they really don't last more than a few years. You could potentially replace it with an aftermarket version though, have a look around (it likely won't be worth buying one from the official retailer.)

Yes a berry120 said you would be looking around eBay for a new cheaper battery as the manufacturer will charge you a lot more to replace it..

These folks don't have it, they can get it. And they're in a saner price range.
Batteries Plus battery store - All your battery needs for Laptop, camera, cell phone, camcorder, SLA, batteries recycling and much more

(Now did that sound like a shameless plug or what?)

Thanks for the link to a battery replacement store. Since the computer is 4 years old and is running Vista, only has an 80 GB HD, only has 1 MB of ram and runs at 1.8 GHZ, I may just get a new laptop while you can still get them with Windows 7. The poster above was very down on the new Windows 8. I know I haven't enjoyed Vista.

I usually keep my laptop plugged in, but I worry about possibly overcharging it. I unplug it usually for an hour and a half or so till it goes down to about 25% or so.

Back
Top Bottom