Which OS would you choose?

ahamza

Solid State Member
Hi, Trying to revive a Dell Mini 9 netbook (Intel Atom N270/1.6 GHz, 1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM, 8GB HDD, Intel Graphics Media Accelerator (GMA) 950.) Originally came with XP pre-installed but like many other Dell Mini'z out there went through a hard drive failure. Anyways so I fixed the hard drive failure and its time to go for a OS optimum for the specs above. Thought I would post this up and see what people suggest. I am open to trying anything, so please suggest :).

Windows XP is the best to this specs according to me..

I agree with you as in the performance of the system was pretty good but the hard drive space kept shrinking constantly and then low space errors on windows. I am not sure but I think it was that which caused the hard drive faliure due to which the BIOS stopped recognizing the hard drive at all! So unless I want to buy a bigger external hard drive I think its going to be the same problem again.

Also just google for a tool named Yumi. U can put more than one os on a usb stick.. and then boot into the one you like.. it works only for live os..

8GB is pitiful for any modern OS, even XP. I'm assuming the hard drive is an SSD, but still you're not going to get awfully far without upgrading. You could try putting Ubuntu or similar on there which you can strip down / customise more easily, or use nlite to strip XP down, but personally I'd swap the hard drive out for more options if I were you.

If you want to try Linux, you could try a lighter weight distro like Xubuntu, or even something like Puppy Linux if you want to be really lightweight. If all you've used is Windows though, you may have an easier time with Xubuntu than Puppy.

Back
Top Bottom