Broken HDD - data rescue

kurci2

Beta member
HI!
I have WD 2TB HDD and it has just stop working. I am pretty sure that it is broken.
I am wondering if anyone of you maybe knows any good data rescue center. I can not afford to lose all my data.
And if you could also disclose prices if you know them...

Thanks for your help!!!

Well. When i plug it in it stars to spin but after two minutes it stops spinning and that is it. I tridet it on Windows 7 and Ubuntu 12.10, but niether of them does not detect hdd as present...

In Win7 i checked Control Panel --> computer management --> disk management
In Ubuntu i tried recuing data with testdisk software but it didn't detect disk...

So i believe that it is broken...

Just for GP have you tried it in another computer? I saw where you posted you tried different operating systems with no joy on either one. Try it in another computer. If it works get your data transfered off right away. If not then seeing what part of the world you're in you'll have to google or ask local shops where the closest data recovery service is located.
I'm sorry to rub salt in your wound but there's 2 things you did wrong.
1> Put all your eggs in one basket. Meaning the size of the drive as you accumulate data on the drive means a malfunction is going to rob you of all that's on it.
2> You don't have a back up strategy in place. Using a bank of smaller drives makes it easier to back them up. 2TB has no comparable back up device.
You might want to look in to a NAS to do auto back ups of the really important data. Some NAS can hold multiple drives. The other method is a tape drive. But that requires you to be there to swap out tapes as they get full. Either route you go is pricey. But then what's your data worth?

Yes, i have already tried on different computers, but nothing worked.
I know about bad data organisation, but i cannot help it now. It is a bit too late =).

Other prolblem is that in my country we do not have any data recovery center. The nearest one is in Italy...

Back
Top Bottom