folderless, tagging based operating system!

elliot knot

Beta member
hi everybody, this is my first post. i've found myself on this site because im looking for someone out there with skills in programming, who may be interested in helping me manifest an idea for a completely new approach to operating system (GUI) design. im not a programmer myself, but to put it bluntly, i've just had enough with the old way of doing things, that is the cumbersome 'folder hierarchy' approach to O.S (or the GUI at least), so i've been working on how a system based around tagging instead of foldering could work, and i feel i've come up with some pretty neat and compelling ideas. it would seem that this approach has not yet been attempted, and this i feel it time for that to change. so if there's any one out there skill in the art of programming who think might be interested, plz email me, i would love to work with you! any comments ideas about what a project like this would involve would be awesome, thanks! :):):)

Before you delve into this, how is this different from an array of well-applied symbolic links?

From what i understand about symbolic links the difference would be, organizing different files by their metadata using a pragram like 'Openmeta' instead of having file's linked to one another (i beleive its an 'alias' in OS X). eg. on a mac, making Finder a system of arrange/sort/group files based upon the informaition ascribed to those files (their metadata) instead of Finder being a hierarchy of folders & files, this would make the users experiencem much simpler and more dynamic than ever! Going one step further and integrating Finder with the desktop environment so one can swipe through all their files, arranging them by their metadata (date info, file kind, size, and also whatever tag(s) one wishes to attach to the file(s)), with the option of displaying all your tags. this would improve organization and locating of files making it faster and far more dynamic. i hope i've answered your question about symbolic links, thank's you!

Back
Top Bottom