USB 3.0 Drive Not Being Recognized on Startup

OhSnapWord

Fully Optimized
I've been having this problem since I got the drive, on two different motherboards. It's a WD MyBook USB 3.0 drive. The drive works perfectly when plugged into USB 2.0 and it works when plugged into USB 3.0.

The problem I am having is that when I restart the computer, Windows doesn't recognize the drive. It installs a driver for an unknown device each time. The drive will not work until I unplug it and plug it back in. I have backups that run every night and if the computer updates and restarts at night, the backup doesn't get run.

I've been having this problem since I got the drive, on two different motherboards. It's a WD MyBook USB 3.0 drive. The drive works perfectly when plugged into USB 2.0 and it works when plugged into USB 3.0.

The problem I am having is that when I restart the computer, Windows doesn't recognize the drive. It installs a driver for an unknown device each time. The drive will not work until I unplug it and plug it back in. I have backups that run every night and if the computer updates and restarts at night, the backup doesn't get run.

the drive includes a driver cd probably.. so do u have those drivers installed??

The drive did not come with a CD. Generally USB hard drives are supposed to be plug and play.

You would have to go to the manufacturers website and download the drivers or do a google search for them..

So I tried a driver on WD's web site. I think it was called SES driver. Didn't solve the problem.

If I connect the drive to a USB 2.0 port and restart the computer, the drive shows up on boot. It only doesn't shot up on boot when it is connected to USB 3.0. Considering it is a USB 3.0 drive, it is a waste to connect it to 2.0.

Have you tried connecting it to another computer to see if its the computer that you have been trying it on that is the problem??

I would but my rig is the only one with USB 3.0. I have a funny feeling that the USB 3.0 ports don't initialize on startup right away. Like I said before, if I plug something in the USB 3.0 port while the computer is running, it works perfectly.

Back
Top Bottom