Installing Ubuntu 12.10 from USB Flash Drive

ahamza

Solid State Member
I am trying to install Ubuntu 12.10 from a USB flash drive and was following instructions from Create a USB stick on Windows | Ubuntu to create a bootable USB stick. The errors I get are attached in the images. I would appreciate if someone could tell me what I am doing wrong or not doing. Thanks in advance for your help.Universal USB Installer Image.jpg

Universal USB Installer Image (2).jpg

Have you tried selected "format"?

EDIT: Note that this will delete all data held on that drive.

Okay I did some searching and found that this can happen sometimes and there are a few fixes.

Go to the drive in "My Computer". Right click and format the drive as FAT32.
Attempt create a bootable USB drive again without the format option selected.

If that doesn't work.

Disable windows firewall and your antivirus. Attempt to create a bootable USB drive once more.

EDIT: Just seen some people saying that if FAT32 doesn't work that you should use the same process to manually format it (via windows) to NTFS and try again.

Last edited:
Okay I did some searching and found that this can happen sometimes and there are a few fixes.

Go to the drive in "My Computer". Right click and format the drive as FAT32.
Attempt create a bootable USB drive again without the format option selected.

If that doesn't work.

Disable windows firewall and your antivirus. Attempt to create a bootable USB drive once more.

EDIT: Just seen some people saying that if FAT32 doesn't work that you should use the same process to manually format it (via windows) to NTFS and try again.

Worked like a dream. I hope my bios can recognize it now when I try to boot from it. But thanks a bunch for your help vampist :)

I have created a USB but when I try to boot from it from my BIOS its not listed there as an option. :confused: When I try doing the same thing for fedora live image it worked good. Now when I have created a partition on my drive to try to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu it doesn't recognize the same USB. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

I have created a USB but when I try to boot from it from my BIOS its not listed there as an option. :confused: When I try doing the same thing for fedora live image it worked good. Now when I have created a partition on my drive to try to dual boot windows 7 and ubuntu it doesn't recognize the same USB. Does anyone know what could be wrong?

is it not listed in the boot device options??
if it is so then ur pc is not detecting the usb drive as the bios will show all the list of devices available to boot from whether it has some bootable files in it or not..

Back
Top Bottom