Dell 745 SFF graphic card help badly needed

barrathea

Beta member
I own a dell optiflex 745 SFF (small form factor) but i badly need to upgrade for the simple on board graphics.

What I thought was a simple job has now turned into a mission. Because of the size of the case I need a low profile card. I wan't to use the card for streaming to my tv which has HDMI and a PC in slot. The other problem other than the height of the card is the PSU which is only 275w.
so my needs are ;-

graphics card low profile,
HDMI out,
allows sound to travel through the HDMI to my TV set,
can work with a low PSU ( cant find one that fits the case any bigger than 275w)

I read around and alot of people said you dont have to be spot on the dot with the wattage of the card , some bigger will work fine.

anything around £20-£40 would be my budget so 2nd is OK with me.
any links to cards would be greatly appreciated.

I don't game or any fancy graphics or video editing, the PC is for the kids and movies so hence a better card is badly needed.

Newegg.com - HIS H545HO512 Radeon HD 5450 512MB 32-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card
This one has 2 low profile brackets. One is for the DVI/HDMI and the other is for the VGA. You would need to use two of the expansion slots on the back of the case. Or you could just remove the VGA plug and only take up one slot if you wanted. It gives you the most options.

I really doubt you'd need to worry about the power supply with a card like this.

This is the card I have to hook up my PC to my TV. It works well, it just doesn't have the second bracket for the VGA in low-profile mode: Newegg.com - PowerColor Go! Green AX5450 1GBK3-SH Radeon HD 5450 (Cedar) 1GB 64-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready Low Profile Ready Video Card

Also, don't spend a ton of money at a store of HDMI cables: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...4&IsNodeId=1&bop=And&Order=RATING&PageSize=20

Thanks for the reply , my last reply wasnt put up i dont know why .

Anyway , Im in the uk so could you possibly point me to similiar cards in the UK ? ( If possible www scan uk as their shop is right nr we i live)

Also , Will the cards above let sound the travel via the HDMI output lead to my TV ? , its so i dont need a lead out for the sound as well.
thanks again.

Last edited:
It's my understanding that all HDMI carries sound.

A quick search on that site and I don't see any proper video cards (let alone a low profile one). Search around some UK sites that you feel comfortable using and post the links here and we can check them out. Just search for 'low profile video card'.

I can't say for certain, but I'd be confident that if they say low profile they will fit. The only concern I'd have is that I don't see any of them have the low profile bracket. (could be included and just not pictured).

Also, they should all run fine off the power supply. Again, I can't say for certain but I'd be confident enough.

You can wait to see if anyone is more certain than I if you'd like.

Also, I don't know why I couldn't find any cards on the site...:lol:

Back
Top Bottom