PC crash. Wont boot help!

KiingDavid

Baseband Member
Hi guys. I was playing farcry 3 when my computer just crashed and would not boot (no power) so i initially thought it was a problem with the psu. I decided to open up my case to clear some dust incase it was an overheating issue.

I didnt wanna dust in my computer room so i brought it to the basement where 2 things went wrong. First, i tipped it over and second i tried to detach the cpu fan when the whole thing just came off. Including the cpu with the cpu latch still down. I examined the pins on the cpu and it seemed ok. Was able to socket back in without too much effort.

After i finished dusting i tried to power on and i could see lights and hear the fan but nothing on the monitor. I usually get one beep when booting but i dont even hear that.

My system spec:
Cpu: amd phenom x4 9xx
Mb: msi 970g45 or something like that
Ram: 4 gb 1600mhz
Gpu: gtx 460
Hdd: wd black 1tb
Psu: corsair 80+ 500W
Case: some cheap corsair case but ample air flow

I was running farcry 3 at almost max settings when it just crashed

Sry for the long post guys. Any help is appreciated

It sounds like the memory or processor to me in past experience I have got the black screen no post and it turned out to be faulty memory.

Another time it was the processor.

Do you have any spear hardware you could use to test with?

What have you done since to correct the issue?

It sounds like the processor may of overheated and shutdown to protect itself.

How it works

When you first turn on your computer the processors contacts heat up, then the fan and heat system then cool it down to correct temperature so it can function.

After a while the thermal compound crème wares off or goes hard and crusty and is no longer covering the processor like it is meant to there for gets hot.

When the processor gets to hot it will shut down the pc to protect it ‘self-think of the processor as the brain of the computer.

What you need to do,

Open up the pc again

Locate to the heat sink and processor

Now it is correctly seated remove the processor from its socket

Clean the processor cream off the processor then the heat sink

When you have completed this buy some thermal compound cream

http://www.maplin.co.uk/thermal-compound-351526?c=maplin&utm_source=endeca&utm_medium=endeca_search&utm_campaign=N58HQ&utm_content=Thermal+Compound

Reseat the processor to the correct position making sure the pins match and cut outs

Then apply the compound to the clean heat sink and processor making sure the processor aria is covered no aria must me missed.

Put everything back on and plug everything back up again.

Try and boot system and see if it works.

Or if it is the memory remove the memory modules and replace with 2 known good ones

And see if it makes a difference. Odds on it is the memory but processor is not ruled

Out because it came out of its socket.

do this and see how you get on.

Kind Regards

Thanks for ur reply. I built this machine and i just found out i had my ram dimms in the wrong sockets. I run dual channel but had it placed in sockts 1 and 3 when colour coding suggest 1 and 2 were meant to be run as dual channel. Yes the thermal compound was custy but i had the cpu cooled to room temerature before attempting to boot. It should have made some progress booting if it was a heating issue.

I have not done much ram troubleshooting but i will try to rule one of the dimms out. Also can it still be thr psu? Ive had an issue before where the psu would feed the fans but could not the whole computer so i had it ruled out

KiingDavid said:
Thanks for ur reply. I built this machine and i just found out i had my ram dimms in the wrong sockets. I run dual channel but had it placed in sockts 1 and 3 when colour coding suggest 1 and 2 were meant to be run as dual channel. Yes the thermal compound was custy but i had the cpu cooled to room temerature before attempting to boot. It should have made some progress booting if it was a heating issue.

I have not done much ram troubleshooting but i will try to rule one of the dimms out. Also can it still be thr psu? Ive had an issue before where the psu would feed the fans but could not the whole computer so i had it ruled out

So far all ive done wqs what i posted in the first thread. No i dont have spare hardware but i will try single channel ram to rule out one

I tried running both dimms separately in single channel and still nothing. Gonna rule out both dimms died at the same time. Im gonna try the psu in a diff computer to see if itll boot. If the psu is good can i assume the cpu is dead?

If you didn't get a POST, then probably the PSU. Plug it in to see if the fan works.

Are you getting a light on the motherboard with PSU on? If so then maybe not the PSU, could be the motherboard. That's what happened to me.

Yes i see a light on the fan and motherboard. Thanks. The mb was the cheapest of the build, could be very much so

Correct me if in wrong but shouldnt the fan and the per light on the motherboard be not on if it indeed was an issue with the mb? I mean a short circuit on the mb would and should halt any power feed to components being fed directly from the mb

If so can i rule out the mb and get a new cpu?

---------- Post added at 06:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

KiingDavid said:
Correct me if in wrong but shouldnt the fan and the per **light on the motherboard be not on if it indeed was an issue with the mb? I mean a short circuit on the mb would and should halt any power feed to components being fed directly from the mb

If so can i rule out the mb and get a new cpu?

**Power not per

Back
Top Bottom