How do I FULLY format my hdd? Please read in full

gymjunkie

Solid State Member
Please read the whole thing, there is much to this question.

I only have one hdd, I have reinstalled xp on it numerous times, now reinstalled Win7 numerous times as well, now its running really slow, with nothing else running I cant even watch a video without the video freezing constantly and I just reinstalled today. NO I cant buy a new hdd at this time and it will be awhile before I can.

Going through the setup process I get to the hdd screen with the partitions, it doesnt give me the option of formatting, just choosing which drive I want the OS on. The only hdd I have obviously is the one that holds my OS. How can I fully format it, partition it so the OS is on the partition and NOTHING ELSE saves to that partition, and then how do I install the OS on that partition?

Or if I need to do the partitions a different way please let me know the best action I should do, without buying a new hdd.

Intel i5-2500k (slightly OCed to 4.1 just using Smart6)
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3
Radeon HD 6850
8gig G.Skill Ripjaws 1600 DDR3
Ultra X3 1000w

Find who makes the HD. Go to their website and download the diag tools to a thumb drive. Follow the instructions for making the program bootable.
On the target system go in to the bios and set the primary boot device as the thumb drive. Plug in the thumb drive and reboot. Follow the prompts.

Thanks, now what button brings up BIOS again? My tv doesnt receive a signal right away anymore for some reason so it never shows that part

Go to the system makers web site and pull up the user manual. The keys to get in to the bios at boot up vary.

Downloads

Download the following files and burn the iso to a cd.

-link to pirated software removed-

Reboot the pc and select cd as first boot.

when the cd runs select graphics mode.

select diagnostics and then fixed disk Tests

then choose format.

the program will then format the LBA and repair any bad sectors, Clusters or cylinders.

after a while when completed reboot the computer and begin to install windows from the windows cd.

Backup Before Format No Going Back After You Hit Format

Also be prepaird to reinstall everything again.

This is a powerful and decent bit of kit but use with Caurtion !

Kind Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks a lot for that, im using it right now, I wish I knew how long it would take tho. Is it pretty normal to take a looooong time? Its been about an hour so far, LBA says 6,7xx,xxx, cylinder so far is 67xx and one sector. 16 heads and 63 sec. per track.

Nvm, it showed up now. Cylinders: 310101 and total LBA 312,581,808

Only at 26,188,xxx so, damn, long way to go.

Ok last question I believe, Im in the Windows install area where I can create a partition, if I create one, does it become C drive, where the OS and everything else is automatically saved? Or should I just use the full drive? I think last time the only partition was for the recovery, the OS and everything saved on one drive total, this drive is from an old XP computer.

Back
Top Bottom