Here we go again. Norton related question

setishock

Wizard of Wires
I hate Norton almost as much as my ex-wifes. I have a client that was talked in to putting Norton (such profanity, sorry) on their desk system.
IT"S A JOKE. It chews up ram like it's going out of style and it's scanning stuff constantly.
I was given the green light to remove it. So the question is>
Is it true you have to get a removal tool from them to get it completely off the system?

Funny thing is the Norton Removal Tool Here is made by Norton / Symantec :)

Yup, they have to give you that or else norton itself would qualify as a virus.

Apparently the reason for not having a normal uninstaller is because it would make it easier for malware to remove the antivirus. Makes sense to me. Norton is still terrible though. I'd usually rather have a virus.

Last edited:
Yes this is true the files stay in the Registry unless you run the removal tool there is several removal tools for anti-virus systems including MacAfee, Kaspersky, Norton semantic, Avast, AVG and eset I have in the past tried to install a anti-virus after uninstalling the old one from add and remove programs and it said that it would not install because of a conflict with another anti virus system so I suppose it is true yes

Kind Regards

In most cases, you can use the normal uninstaller to get the job done. The removal tool is for when your uninstallation files become corrupt.

Yup, they have to give you that or else norton itself would qualify as a virus.

Apparently the reason for not having a normal uninstaller is because it would make it easier for malware to remove the antivirus. Makes sense to me. Norton is still terrible though. I'd usually rather have a virus.

Agree, and I know my Dad does to :D

Thanks for all your help in this matter. It is resolved. I nabbed the uninstaller and "poof" t's gone. I put AVG free on pending getting NOD32.

NOD32 = Eset?

Also, I really must say Microsoft Security Essentials does a pretty good job too. I've been using that over AVG. Just throwing it out there.

I have been using Zone Alarm Firewall + Antivirus for the last few months and found it very good (the antivirus is the Kaspersky engine)

Back
Top Bottom