Windows Upgrade Question

PSPreal

Beta member
My laptop hard drive recently crashed so I'll be installing a new one this week. My question is regarding Windows. I've been running Vista but I figure that if I'm going to upgrade, now is as good a time as any. Is it worth upgrading? The way I see it, my options are:

- Keep Vista
- Upgrade to Windows 7
- Upgrade to Windows 8

Also, is it better to buy the full version of the newer Windows and do a clean install or is it better to reinstall Vista and then upgrade from there? I'm assuming the price will be cheaper for the upgrade version but I would pay more if the full version is more efficient than the upgrade.

LAPTOP:
Dell 1530 XPS
Intel Core 2 Duo Processor T9300 (2.5 GHz, 6 MB cache)
3 Gig RAM

Yeah that's what I heard about Windows 8 but is it really true?
It's not a touch screen.

Yes Windows 8 is more for computers/laptops with touch screens and is a more of a tablet OS..
I keep seeing this repeated everywhere but I've tried using Win 8 with a touchscreen and personally find it much harder to use than with a mouse/keyboard. Also, it's a PITA to move back and forth from the keyboard to the screen and back again.

@OP - You can buy the upgrade version of either Win 7 or Win 8 and do a clean install, there is no reason to re-install Vista first then upgrade from there.

If I was you I would choose Windows 7 as you don't have a touchscreen, and I would recommend doing a clean install after formatting the drive.

Back
Top Bottom