Help upgrading a Dell Optiplex SX270

cheeseroll

Beta member
My Macbook just crashed this week and i'm looking to switch back to a PC. I'm no techie. I don't know anything about computers and gadgets other than the hard drive being for memory space.

I have this Dell Optiplex SX270 which I found lying on my bed one night and I thought it'd be really cool if I could just fix it up to have my own personalized computer, one that would meet my needs. It's a mini CPU and currently it has a Pentium 4 processor and runs on WinXP. The CPU is almost 10 years old and I'm expecting to change everything, including the motherboard, just so I can get it up to speed. I need a computer that I can use primarily for audio recording programs, audio/video editing but I'd also like to play games on it like Battlefield 3 and Guild Wars 2 and play HD movies. Audio quality would be my biggest concern rather than video quality, but good video quality would be nice. And I've been doing some reading and it said on some sights that the bigger brother of this CPU, the GX270, can't be upgraded. Now, I don't know why they say it can't be upgraded but I figured it's cuz you would have to change the motherboard itself which from how I understand it is like buying a whole new computer altogether. But that's just my guess. I really don't know a thing about computers.

I'm completely clueless on what to do with it and if what I'm hoping to do is even possible. I would appreciate any help I could get

Last edited:
If you wanted to you could actually build a way better computer of your own, Newegg have a range of kits that are very cheap, All of the parts are chosen carefully for compatibility and once it arrives you just have to put it together, Computer Parts, PC Components, Laptop Computers, LED LCD TV, Digital Cameras and more! - Newegg.com

I'll check it out. Thanks for the referral. Personally, though, I would really like to build up that mini CPU I have, if at all possible. Even if it means
I would have to change everything, I wanna keep the casing. I like the idea of having a small powerful CPU for audio recording and video editing that can perform as well as most regular sized CPUs out there and still have the capacity to upgrade it further in the future when needed

You would need a high power pc to be able to do audio and video editing and gaming..

Last edited:
Dell cases are oddballs when it comes to layout. The board is an oddball too to be able to mate up.
Mini or micro systems are in a class all their own. Google for some exsamples.

If you really want to do a small system, there's a lot of lga 1155 ITX boards floating around. Don't try to use the dell case though. It's unlikely that anything about it is standardized. I'm pretty fond of this case if you want to go the small pc route.

Customer: 'but macs never crash, apple are the best unlike pc's who always do'
Me: Not if you buy a good one...

great to hear your rejoining the PC club ;)

Customer: 'but macs never crash, apple are the best unlike pc's who always do'
Me: Not if you buy a good one...

great to hear your rejoining the PC club ;)

Macs are generally more stable as far as the software side of things. The hardware, not so much. From my past experiences with apple, it seems like they push things through without thorough product testing, so all kinds of design flaws pop up a couple years down the line. Also, they have a tendency to cheap out on small things. Example: the power cord for my laptop broke on me so many times because they used some non-copper metal and it kept fracturing from being rolled up like it was designed for. Apparently they've been getting better with that recently though.

If he plans doing gaming I wouldn't suggest buying a mac, they are alright for photo, video and audio editing..

Back
Top Bottom