Random Chit Chat

You need to find a working medication.

I've been through plenty of combinations and names I can't spell to know about side effects and adverse reactions. citilopram and a low dose of aripiprazole gave me no side effects and provided some balance up there. Everyone is different, you just have to keep trying them.

Edit:
Don't go in there and let them overdose you either. Test reactions with lowest dose and then build up. Too much initially may produce a false positive. It takes time, but so does everything in life.
/EDIT

I participated in a 7 week inpatient treatment program at the Denver VA for PTSD. I was rather encouraged by way of challenge by this passage:

Hm, okay. I'll talk to my therapist about maybe finding a psychiatrist. I'm really apprehensive about this though. I had one a while back that went on a long, hateful rant when I told her why I was depressed. I got back home from that appointment and took an entire bottle of sleep aid. Between that and the event at the hospital I mentioned earlier, I've been pretty terrified of doctors, especially psychiatrists.

Cognitive Process Therapy (CPT) helped me with anxiety in crowds and restaurants (chemical/physical over-reactions to improbable threat/harm), among other things. They're related to the event(s) that caused any PTSD.

Interesting.

Don't do that

:( That's really the only relief I can ever get. It's not so easy to just give up on it.

Citalipram did numbers for me, in a good way. That is, after the first few days (days 1 and 2 were an adventure but still better than what I was without it). I didn't have to mix that with anything else to help pull me out. If you haven't tried it already, then I think that just knowing 2 people who've used it without issue (iPwn and myself) is a good enough reason to give it a fair chance.

I never tried that one. They were giving me some strange ones because I was under 18 until recently. That might have something to do with why they never worked.

Also, I don't know your situation and limitations but 2 things I did that turned me around to a point where I'm no longer on meds and have a clean bill of mental health: First, move. Go as far away as you realistically can. If it's a new place in the same city that's fine, new place in anther state/provence/whatever is better. In my case I couldn't do another city or state as I was in school and my degree isn't offered everywhere in the U.S. (and the degree made me happy). You mentioned an uncle who seemed to be reaching out. If he is, see if he'd be willing to take you in for a couple weeks while you find a new place. In this economy he might not be able to do that so don't be surprised if that doesn't happen but it's worth a shot IMO.

I don't have a job or any money, so can't. Even if I could find a place willing to hire me, I'd make it maybe three days before either having a breakdown during work or just not showing up because of depression. The only real option is to keep living with my mother and hope things improve.

Second, get a pet. This was the first thing I did when I moved. I went to a local shelter and a cute little 1 year old cat reached out of the cage and grabbed my finger. She had chosen me and it's been a wonderful relationship ever since. Every place you live will have different rules on what you can and can't have in terms of an animal. I know in the US (or at least the state of Wisconsin) you can get a medical excuse to have an animal if it's to help depression to bring one into an apartment that normally does not allow it. All I suggest is to get one that you can reasonably afford to care for and is smart enough to form a bond with you (AKA no fish). The unconditional love and affection does wonders and gives you a reason to get out of bed and survive.

I have a dog. It absolutely hates me. I can't get near it most of the time without being growled at. So much for that unconditional love thing...

I think I've offered this before, but if not I'm sorry and I'll extend it now: If you, or anyone else on this forum, ever need to vent send me a PM. If you don't want a response I'll respect that as sometimes just telling someone can be a huge relief.

Thanks.

Hmm well darn that does throw a wrench in things. Maybe if you can find some meds that work then my suggestions will help (just a different dog when your in your new place).

I cannot speak to this from experience but I have heard that fish oils with omega 3 is good for most mental illnesses in addition to all the other stuff it's supposed to help with. If there is already some at your parents I would give it a shot.

Hm, okay. I'll talk to my therapist about maybe finding a psychiatrist. I'm really apprehensive about this though. I had one a while back that went on a long, hateful rant when I told her why I was depressed. I got back home from that appointment and took an entire bottle of sleep aid. Between that and the event at the hospital I mentioned earlier, I've been pretty terrified of doctors, especially psychiatrists.

A psychologist is the one you give money to chat with. You're not paying a psychiatrist to be your friend, you're paying a psychiatrist to write prescriptions. Go in with a clear list of symptoms, history, reactions and keep your emotional reactions to a minimum. The worst thing to do in front of a shrink is perform. Just know what you're feeling, what causes it, what you've tried, what you're wanting to do. Ask what to look for and what they need to know next time.

My hour long appointments with my Government crack dealer take me about 15 minutes. Go in prepared with data and get out.

That's really the only relief I can ever get. It's not so easy to just give up on it.

This sounds stupid but, lay on your back and smile for 15 consecutive minutes. The action is associated with happiness and you can actually cause your brain to produce/distribute dopamine in reaction to the physical act of smiling. Smiles don't leave scars either.

I never tried that one. They were giving me some strange ones because I was under 18 until recently.

Above where I mentioned the 14 days where the danger is present; that is especially true for mid-late teens.

I have a dog. It absolutely hates me. I can't get near it most of the time without being growled at. So much for that unconditional love thing...

Whenever we get an item/part that doesn't work as we intended it to, I send that crap back and get something else.

If my dog hated me, I'd get a new dog.

The only real option is to keep living with my mother and hope things improve.

Hoping something will happen is as about effective as praying for it to happen. Don't get me wrong, I share Christian beliefs, but me asking God to buy me a new car and have it delivered would get me......... a whole lotta letdown.

Perhaps a more involved approach?

A few of us who have commented have been sharing the same simple message: you have to do something about it.

Where you are now is not going to result in a 'good life.'
Every path before you seems impossible.

You have two options; Stand there or start walking?

A psychologist is the one you give money to chat with. You're not paying a psychiatrist to be your friend, you're paying a psychiatrist to write prescriptions. Go in with a clear list of symptoms, history, reactions and keep your emotional reactions to a minimum. The worst thing to do in front of a shrink is perform. Just know what you're feeling, what causes it, what you've tried, what you're wanting to do. Ask what to look for and what they need to know next time.

My hour long appointments with my Government crack dealer take me about 15 minutes. Go in prepared with data and get out.

Yeah, I get that. They tend to ask if there's something that's clearly the cause of the depression. I was stupid enough to tell the truth before. I can't really hide it now though, because they're going to need to know what medications I'm on, which will be make it pretty obvious what's happening.

This sounds stupid but, lay on your back and smile for 15 consecutive minutes. The action is associated with happiness and you can actually cause your brain to produce/distribute dopamine in reaction to the physical act of smiling. Smiles don't leave scars either.

You're right, that does sound stupid. I'll try i though.

Whenever we get an item/part that doesn't work as we intended it to, I send that crap back and get something else.

If my dog hated me, I'd get a new dog.

If it was up to me, I'd have gotten a new dog years ago. My mother actually likes the thing though.

Hoping something will happen is as about effective as praying for it to happen. Don't get me wrong, I share Christian beliefs, but me asking God to buy me a new car and have it delivered would get me......... a whole lotta letdown.

Perhaps a more involved approach?

A few of us who have commented have been sharing the same simple message: you have to do something about it.

Where you are now is not going to result in a 'good life.'
Every path before you seems impossible.

You have two options; Stand there or start walking?

Good point. I didn't mean just doing nothing at all and expecting things to magically get better. I've been getting help for what seems to be the main thing making me miserable (regulars here will know what this is), it just takes a really long time to work. But yeah, trying something else in the meantime would be a good idea.

foothead said:
Yeah, I get that. They tend to ask if there's something that's clearly the cause of the depression. I was stupid enough to tell the truth before. I can't really hide it now though, because they're going to need to know what medications I'm on, which will be make it pretty obvious what's happening.

Honesty is required in this battle.

Different Dr's serve different purposes, give them the info they need to perform their function. The less emotion involved the better, just talk about things from an observer point of view.

Honesty is required in this battle.

Different Dr's serve different purposes, give them the info they need to perform their function. The less emotion involved the better, just talk about things from an observer point of view.

Okay. I tend to get really emotional, but I'll try not to.

I'm sat at my desktop naked .... under a huge white bath towel :rofl: ... just had a nice hot shower :D

I recall a thread on another forum where someone sat in their computer chair naked after a shower and became glued to the fake leather. It was pretty funny.

Back
Top Bottom