Can't install Windows

Larisa

In Runtime
As some of you know, I upgraded my PC because the mobo was bad, http://www.computerforums.org/forums/hardware/hard-drive-220019.html.

I purchased a new mobo, CPU, and memory. I have it installed and everything was going great until I tried to install Windows, this is the error I got. "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Based on research I've done, the hard drive has a MBR partition because that is what the old mobo bios required. So now I have to create a GPT partition. The problem is, it appears Windows has to be installed to do this because all the instructions begin with clicking the "START" button for Windows.

Does anyone know how to create a GPT partition? I can only get to the BIOS screen because Windows won't load.

I have Windows Vista 64 Bit if interested in knowing my O/S. My BIOS has my SATA ports as AHCI, would changing them to IDE help?

Hmmm... no help huh?

Well it looks like, from what I've read, that Windows Vista does not support a GPT partition. So it looks like I will have to buy Windows 8 and install it.

So let me ask a different question? If my hard drive has a MBR partition and I buy Windows 8 and install it, will I be able to make a GPT partition?

Last edited:
You could try running a linux livecd and creating the partition, then just point the windows installer to it. I'm not sure if this will work, but it's worth a try if you don't want to move to windows 8. Here are the commands to create a GPT partition in linux.

Before you go further...

MBR and GPT are simply methods of logical drive design. MBR is the older standard and swapping your motherboard should not require you to create a GPT based drive.

Something is trying to boot to an EFI system. Check your boot order for "EFI" or "UEFI" and make sure there are none.

You don't really want to repartition your drive to GPT if not needed and if the installation is still good.

Well it copied all the Windows Vista files and it expanded about 50% of them and then it stopped working and gives an error about files not being available.

So I'm going to buy Windows 8 and that should fix any problems (fingers crossed).

Nice try iPwn, thanks again for your post

Back
Top Bottom