Looking for a nice router

Rubber314Chicken

Golden Master
I've got a budget of about $400 for this. The key features are dual band (all our laptops support wireless n, but we still have some ipod touche and such that'll only do wireless g), QoS, gigabit, and VPN support. If there is something that offers more advanced traffic support than QoS can do (such as blocking torrent traffic or whatever) that'd be a plus. If it is a rackmount unit, I'd need a separate wireless AP, but an all in one sit on your desktop model would work fine too.

Any suggestions?

Not sure if this is one that you can consider as it sounds like this is for an office, or if it'll even do everything you need but it's worth a shot in sharing. It has dual-band (both N-capable), gigabit, QoS and VPN:

ASUS - Networks- ASUS RT-N66U

I have one at my apartment and as part of a remodel of their house I've setup 3 at my parents. It's fast, strong signal and easy to configure. It has QoS but nothing more advanced/corporate. It has a built-in VPN server and you can get a free DDNS account through Asus if you need one. My 1 complaint about the vpn server is it loses the ability to search for devices by name when off-site. If you have a server on your network called "serv" you cannot just connect to it by navigation in explorer to "serv" or by using any shortcuts that use the name in the path: you must use it's IP address. Thankfully you can have an almost infinite number of static IP addresses. Don't quote me on this, but I also think it has a max pool of 10 IP addresses that it can give to clients connected to the VPN which can be limiting if being used in a large office.

Last edited:
Its for home use. Off hand I think we normally have 8 or 10 device connected. With our our current setup we start getting connection issues when it gets into double digits, and restarting doesn't always take care of it. So something robust enough to work in a small office would be great.

Well 8 computers, a tv, ps3, Wii, two cell phones, a kindle, and a nook on mine every day and I have no issues at all with what I linked. Of the 3 I have at my parents, two are just access points and switches and their load is similar. I don't know of anything stronger for a home setting and I don't know enough about pro series routers to recommend anything over this.

This is what my family needs as we have 4-5 laptops, a ps3, wii, imac, a digital set-top box that is able to connect the internet, 6-7 phones, 2 ipads, and 2 wireless printers, Which can be connected all at the same time.

I would look at something like a netgear or dlink router and switch and set it up rember the more devices you add the the router the slower the connection will be as your bandwith is decreased each time. also look to upgrading your tariff to the max internet and monitor the performace as internet providers are known for not giving you what you pay for

Kind Regards

Regardless of the brand, look at here listed different brands models, compare the features of these decent wireless routers

Back
Top Bottom