Intel: BGA to replace LGA?

Hmmmmm I'm not entirely sure to be honest but I have often thought that surely if a computer was able to solder or embed the CPU into the motherboard you would be able to have more connections and potentially faster connections than the user replaceable CPUs, so that would be the upside but the downside, well i'm sure everyone here knows the down sides. . . . .

Hmmmmm I'm not entirely sure to be honest but I have often thought that surely if a computer was able to solder or embed the CPU into the motherboard you would be able to have more connections and potentially faster connections than the user replaceable CPUs, so that would be the upside but the downside, well i'm sure everyone here knows the down sides. . . . .

Not really. Unless they redesign everything, it'll interface with the motherboard in the same way as a typical lga/pga cpu but won't be removable. Imagine taking a current cpu, removing the pins, then soldering it into the socket. That's what you're getting.

I really wonder how this is going to work out for the motherboard manufacturers. It's going to be a lot harder to sell each model in ten different varieties so users can still choose their cpu. It does finally give intel a way to force you to replace the mobo with every cpu upgrade. They've clearly been trying to do that for a while with the constant socket updates.

Not really. Unless they redesign everything, it'll interface with the motherboard in the same way as a typical lga/pga cpu but won't be removable. Imagine taking a current cpu, removing the pins, then soldering it into the socket. That's what you're getting.

I really wonder how this is going to work out for the motherboard manufacturers. It's going to be a lot harder to sell each model in ten different varieties so users can still choose their cpu. It does finally give intel a way to force you to replace the mobo with every cpu upgrade. They've clearly been trying to do that for a while with the constant socket updates.

Sorry yes I agree with that, what I was getting at is if it's user replaceable then the pins / connections have to be a certain size so that they function as removable where as if in future they were not removable they should be able to make the connections smaller and have more of them and in theory increasing speed.

Intel, if they do this, will start off with low cost systems that they deem to be "disposable" but yes, they will target this and make it impossible to change the CPU without some dedicated skills and equipment - and most folks don't posses that ability, so they're seeing it as a possible cash cow.

Ugh.

But I have a feeling they won't completely abandon the DIY/enthusiast market either.

The DIY market is far too lucrative for them to abandon. They are making huge profits on their CPUs by selling them direct to retail.

They can abandon the enthusiast market if they want. It won't matter. What is everyone going to do about it? switch to AMD? That doesn't seem very likely since AMD seems to have given up on the enthusiast segment altogether to focus on laptops and such. This would give them a great opportunity to make a comeback though.

They can abandon the enthusiast market if they want. It won't matter. What is everyone going to do about it? switch to AMD? That doesn't seem very likely since AMD seems to have given up on the enthusiast segment altogether to focus on laptops and such. This would give them a great opportunity to make a comeback though.

That is exactly what I thought about when I first read the article. If this does become reality I would hope AMD would siege the opportunity, but I am not keeping said hopes to high...

Back
Top Bottom