Treadmill

jonzboyz

Beta member
I would like to wire 2 Workstations off one PC (Dell XPS 200). The second would be at the Treadmill in the basement with Wireless Keyboard. They could be run seperately and probably just for surfing and simple games (cards). Would a VGA Splitter be enough. Thanks

Yea, you should be able to just plug in 2 mouses, 2 keyboards and split the VGA signal, but beware that you are limited to about 10 meters of VGA before you'd need a booster amp to get the signal through. Also, you'd want to pay attention to the wireless keyboard range.

Splitting vga between two different monitors tends to cause all kinds of issues. Use either the second video out on your video card or a kvm switch. Only one will be usable at a time of course.

From your original question, it almost sounds like you want to be able to run two independent sessions at once. If this is the case, you'll either need to use a special version of windows server called "multipoint server" or you can apparently configure X to run two independent sessions, though I don't know anything about that.

Splitting vga between two different monitors tends to cause all kinds of issues. Use either the second video out on your video card or a kvm switch. Only one will be usable at a time of course.

From your original question, it almost sounds like you want to be able to run two independent sessions at once. If this is the case, you'll either need to use a special version of windows server called "multipoint server" or you can apparently configure X to run two independent sessions, though I don't know anything about that.

I'm not sure a KVM switch is the answer here, KVM switches allow you to control multiple PCs with one keyboard, mouse and monitor.

sounds like he wants to control a single PC with 2 sets of mice, keyboards and monitors.

First we need to establish do you want these to run at the same time? IE two different sessions?

Or do you just want to be able to use 1 at 1 time and then the other set another time? In which case a VGA splitter should be fine for multiple monitors and your keyboards and mice will simply plug into available USB ports.

Woops, I didn't mean a standard kvm switch. I've seen some that work the same way but allow you to select between two different monitor/keyboard/mouse/speaker setups. I'm not sure what they're called though now that i think of it.

EDIT: something like this would work. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16815290014 Don't use the passive vga splitter that's just a cable with two female plugs. Those never seem to work as intended. It causes all kinds of issues with monitor detection. You'll probably still have issues if the monitors are a different resolution though. Using two separate ports on the video card is definitely the best way to go if possible.

Last edited:
These really aren't meant for home use, but I think this is what the OP wants: L-series | for vSpace | NComputing

Allows 1 desktop to virtually turn into up to 100 (depending on the power of the desktop though). One desktop is connected to a monitor/keyboard/mouse like normal, then this device is connected as well. Then it connects to monitor/keyboard/mouse and runs a virtual session on the desktop. The 2 (or however many) don't even know that they aren't sitting in front of a legit desktop computer.

I'm not sure a KVM switch is the answer here, KVM switches allow you to control multiple PCs with one keyboard, mouse and monitor.

sounds like he wants to control a single PC with 2 sets of mice, keyboards and monitors.

First we need to establish do you want these to run at the same time? IE two different sessions?

Or do you just want to be able to use 1 at 1 time and then the other set another time? In which case a VGA splitter should be fine for multiple monitors and your keyboards and mice will simply plug into available USB ports.

I should have mentioned that. Thanks.

So far my plan is just one Workstation operating at a time. Does it help to keep the other Monitor turned off?

I bought a Wireless Keyboard with Touchpad to go with the wrong wiring setup, which I returned. I will also need to get the Wireless signal down there.

The Cable will have to be 50 ft. long.

Woops, I didn't mean a standard kvm switch. I've seen some that work the same way but allow you to select between two different monitor/keyboard/mouse/speaker setups. I'm not sure what they're called though now that i think of it.

EDIT: something like this would work. Newegg.com - IOGEAR 2-Port VGA Video Splitter GVS62 VGA Interface Don't use the passive vga splitter that's just a cable with two female plugs. Those never seem to work as intended. It causes all kinds of issues with monitor detection. You'll probably still have issues if the monitors are a different resolution though. Using two separate ports on the video card is definitely the best way to go if possible.

Just checked the Link and that sounds perfect. I just need to get a Wireless Signal now. Thanks.

And she thought I was too Old.

Problem Solved. Thanks for all the Ideas on the Basement Treadmill.

I used a VGA Splitter Cable (for upstairs monitor and basement monitor 50ft. away). A USB Cable plugged into an open Port on the PC Tower with a Wireless Keyboard Pickup on the other end (hanging above treadmill). I also put a 50ft+ Audio Cable for a simple set of Ear Buds when needed.

1 Hour on the Treadmill is nothing now. I have to hang a towel close. With Card Games, News, Videos, Reading and Surfing I think the Treadmill will be the first to go.

Thanks Again

j

Back
Top Bottom