increase space

donzii

Beta member
my pc was of 512 mb but its now 786mb but my c drive is still full so i cannot add any other programs i want to increase the space of c drive how to do help..

You can't just increase the size of the hard drive. I'm going to assume you don't have it partitioned into 2 partitions (C: and D: perhaps).

Also, that sounds more like memory (RAM) sizes that hard drive sizes to me. It sounds like you added RAM which is sometimes called memory and can therefore be kind of confusing.

but i have already partioned my drives and there are so many space in other .is it possible to increase the space in c drive from those drives which have much space?

Yes it is. Check out a program called GParted.

However, I'm still confused. 512MB and 768MB are RAM sizes and are not hard drive sizes. It is recommened, depending on your operating system, to have 20GB (or more) for the C: drive. I doubt Windows will even fit onto a partition that small. Could you provide details about the drive letters you have and how much space each one is partitioned into?

yes i have 4 drives
c drive for system space18.5 gb
d drive space18.6 gb
e drive space18.6 gb
f drive space18.6 gb

My first suggestion, can you remove programs from the C: drive and install them on D:/E:/F:?

If not, like I said before, check out GParted. I've used it several times successfully. However, anytime you mess with partitions, you'll want to backup all of your data in case of a failure.

Hello,
A better way to make room on your system/primary partition would be to move the "Document and settings" folder to another partition. In your case either D,E or F. Doing it manually would be a way easier than messing with TweakUI, X-Setup, etc. Back in the XP days I keept all my settings on my D: drive. If I had to to reinstall Windows, I could easily get most of my settings and old files back instead of starting from ground zero.
Note that you're really just changing one registry sub-key here. The rest is just to logoff the user account, copy the settings to the new location and then logon to the user account.

1. Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList
2. Under this key, there will be some number of profiles (usually 6), each of these which represents a user name that you will find under C:\Documents and Settings.
3. Click on each PROFILE key entry and look at the value ProfileImagePath to identify which one represents your username.
4. Inside the registry editor, using RegEdit or a clone registry editing program (I use Registrar Lite), edit this ProfileImagePath value that represents your username and CHANGE the path to where you want to move your settings to. In my case, I wanted to move my settings from C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME to “D:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME”.
5. Save this new path value in the registry editing program.
6. Now export the whole profile key that contains this value. You will be prompted for a file name to save the exported information to. Pick a location on your hard disk (not on the C drive) and export the key. When you finish the export and look at the output file, it should look something like this (note that exported filename locations inside the registry always represent a single “\” character with two “\\” characters).
7. Delete everything below your new path name.
Step 2
1. Now do a full reboot (don't just logoff/on) and sign into the ADMINISTRATOR account
2. Copy C:\Documents and Settings\Username folder (including all sub-folders) to the new path location where the target users personal settings are to be saved (D:\Documents and Settings\XYZ in this example).
3. Logoff the Administrator account and back onto the User account
4. Run the registry file you previously exported to and edited with the .REG extension (right-click it and choose merge)
5. Reboot the computer again and logon to the USER account
6. Go to C:\Documents and Settings\Username and try to delete the complete folder structure
8. If Windows allows you to do this, then you have successfully transferred your settings to the new path location and all is well.

9. If Windows says that you can't delete it because it or something in it is required by the system, then you've done something wrong. Open Regedit and make sure that you have modified the correct location for the user account and that it has been correctly updated.
10. If you have the right location and it hasn't been updated, figure out why.
11. You might have to do a system restore if you've messed something up badly, so take a backup before and be prepared to do this if necessary.
12. Generally, an imaging program that can be initiated from DOS is the best way to restore everything if you run into problems.

There are a few caveats with this, however. Well...only 1 actually. Alot of programs (poorly developed ones) always look at the %systemdrive%\documents and settings directory for users. If you end up going down the route of moving your user profiles, be prepared for unexpected issues later on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom