Hard Drive?

Well I do have 2 sticks of memory (2 gig each) I could pull one to see if it works. If it doesn't then replace one with the other and see if it works. If I can't get either to work then it's probably the hard drive. I don't think both sticks would be bad at the same time.

What do you think?

yes good shout try that first and see and record the results, I will get you to download disk regenerator later to test the hard disk.

Kind Regards

Humor me. Try booting in to safe mode and see if it stays stable. As soon as it starts to come up just keep tapping the F8 key. Select safe mode with out networking. That will bring it up with out most of the drivers. If it's a bad driver it would also cause the system to crash.
If it's a bad drive and or memory after all it will do the same in safe mode as it does in normal mode.

Update ....

After checking the memory and determining it was good (had the same problem) I went ahead and bought a new hard drive and installed it. Everything worked great for 2 weeks. This morning my computer wouldn't boot and I don't get a POST.

The PSU seems to be working correctly (fan turning and power to the motherboard), the memory is good (based on my test 2 weeks ago), the hard drive is new, and a fresh OS install.

So that leaves the motherboard correct????

The Mobo I have now is ATX, AM2 socket (I have an AMD Athlon 64 X2 5200+ Socket AM2 CPU), with DDR2 (2 Gigs each). My hard drive is a SATA.

So I went shopping for a new Mobo. I couldn't find any with an AM2 socket or DDR2 memory slots. Will an AM2 CPU fit in an AM3 socket? Will DDR2 memory fit in an DDR3 socket? If not, where can I find a motherboard with AM2 and DDR2 sockets?

I found this, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157274 but I never heard of the company so I'd hesitate to buy it. Just noticed it's a micro ATX so it won't work.

By the way, my current Mobo is a MSI K9N2 SLI Platinum Motherboard.

Advice please and thanks for any help.

Last edited:
Here is what I picked out:

ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS
Newegg.com - ASUS M5A97 R2.0 AM3+ AMD 970 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B
Newegg.com - CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9B

AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX
Newegg.com - AMD FX-6100 Zambezi 3.3GHz Socket AM3+ 95W Six-Core Desktop Processor FD6100WMGUSBX

Looks compatible to me ... how about you?

I also have a SATA hard drive, Readon 5770 graphic card, and a 600 watt PSU.

Back
Top Bottom