Windows 7 Issues

ep2002

In Runtime
Hi,

I personally don't like Win 7 b/c I like the way the taskbars & quick menu is set up on XP & Win 7 doesn't offer that. 3 people have tried to get it to come close & it just doesn't. It's nuts.

Now MS told me a few months ago that they are going to be coming out with the classic skin that will solve that problem, but I'm not sure if that's come out yet. I'd have to ask them.

Anyway, that's not why I'm writing.

I only have Win 7 on my laptop which I only use for traveling or personal things, so I haven't learned the ins & outs of it much yet.

1. Recently Win 7 has been rebooting on its own way too much. I have no idea how to stop if from updating without my permission, but now after I've unplugged the laptop & I plug it back in hours later, it seems to be rebooting instead of just going back to all the windows that were open there before.

I don't understand what is going on. It never did that before.

While that may be healthy for the computer, this means I have to reopen every window to where it was before all over again & I don't like that.

2. The 2nd issue is that whenever I reboot my XP, if I don't close down all these computer windows with folders in them like "notes" on D drive, Pics on E drive, etc. when it reboots, it brings all those windows back up again so I don't have to go searching for them.

With Win 7 it doesn't do that & it's annoying.

3. Lastly, recently Fx has been causing problems. Normally it remembers what I've typed into a field on a certain site. Now sometimes it remembers it & other times it's just wiped it out of the memory.

4. One more thing. TB doesn't look the same on my laptop as it does on XP even though it's exactly the same version on both computer.

Does the look change just b/c I'm on Win 7?

If one or more people can help with these issues, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Michelle

Firefox & Thunderbird.

I spoke to MS or I should say the Philippines. They say they can't make the toolbar look like XP even though he moved a few things around & did make it look much closer. No comment LOL

And that was after I got 3 different answers from 3 different people over there.

So that question is answered.

I'll start with the cosmetics. Under Control Panel > System and Security > System > Advanced system settings > Advanced (tab) > Settings (under Performance) > Visual Effects, you will find the ability to fine tune various visual effects.

Select "Adjust for best performance". This will remove all visual effects. This will also set the looks of things back to Windows XP-ish. It is difficult to say what to keep and what not to keep because we all have different things that we like or don't like with a new OS, but perhaps this will help you.

As for the quick menu, in Windows 7 they have pins. I personally think it is easier to use than the old quick menu. Whenever you have something opened, just right click its tab and select "Pin this program to taskbar". If you switched off enough visual effects, it should look very much like the quick menu (only that you can set it up quicker), minus the little divider to the right of it.

The issue with remembering fields for Firefox is likely related to the browser settings. Does it happen with another browser or a "naked" Firefox with default settings?

What is Windows 7 trying to update? Is it trying to update the same files? You should only have a lot of updates to go through if you just started using Windows 7. Mine only does this once every ~6 months, after the 17th (when the updates are launched). It shouldn't be so frequent as to annoy you...

Agree with most of Dale's post, but I think he missed one detail...

Windows is not updating, it's crashing. (notes are gone)

With Vista, they defaulted the Blue Screen of Death to not show. So, something is wrong with the hardware in your PC or some driver is wrong so now Windows keeps crashing and restarting.

Click Start > Right-click Computer > Properties
Right hand side > Advanced System Settings
Startup and Recovery section > Settings
Uncheck Automatically Restart

Now you'll see the error and can get an error code

e.g.
IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
0x000001234

Google or post the error code you get and that will tell you what's wrong.

You can have the quickstart menu in Windows 7!

Right-click the up arrow > Toolbars > New Toolbar > voila! Quickstart menu!
See attached screenshot.

What else do you need help with??
- Windows expert

1. REBOOTING ISSUE:
--> NOT a problem with Windows! You Have A Virus.

2. That's what shortcuts are for. So you don't have to go searching.
That's also what the "Search" in the Start Menu in Windows 7 is for (this features was also in Vista).

3. Use Lazarus. It's better.

4. You need to post pictures so we can help with this issue.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom