Internet Explorer Issues

connchri

Daemon Poster
Hello!

I'm having a few issues with IE 9 that is driving me mad and would like to hear some of your ideas! - with exception: don't suggest alternative browsers, ain't happening.

Anyway, I've been having other issues with my PC (Trying to get a correct setup for Matlab) and it resulted in me having to uninstall and reinstall about 10 different compilers/.Net studios/IDE's. Since then I have noticed a few issues in a few of my programs that I reckon is down to runtime environments not being setup correctly.

I am thinking my issues with IE are something to do with this, but I could be wrong. Basically, it is never remembering my logins for any site - and I have the security settings in IE set up that this should be allowed. This is a pain, because for every site that I have myself "kept logged in" I need to re-login and this, depending on the site, needs the use of my mobile phone and a code being sent (read facebook and steam!).

It's becoming a pain. Also, whenever I press back, it reloads the current page as opposed to going back - this requires I actually go to the back menu and select the previous page I want to visit. In addition, when I download a file and it asks if i want to "Open, Save, or Save As" neither button works.

Any Ideas?

Cheers,

Chris.

wow. that is odd.
I don't know why that is happening.
But can i ask you why you are not willing to change browser?
I know IE9 is the best IE yet, but it still can't compete with Chrome (in my opinion, and 95% of all other geeks)

Do you have cookies blocked? If you do the site will not be able to recognize you when you return.
If you don't have cookies blocked check in the browser general settings to see if > delete browsing history on exit < is unchecked.

Do you have cookies blocked? If you do the site will not be able to recognize you when you return.
If you don't have cookies blocked check in the browser general settings to see if > delete browsing history on exit < is unchecked.

Had a look, and I don't have it enabled. Very baffling indeed :S

I'll try reinstalling a lot of Windows updates to do with IE and any runtime thingies... It's the only thing that I've severely been messing around with and it has impacted other programs (such as open and save file "boxes" - missing icons :S). Looks like I've somehow managed to damage windows.

Thanks for your help Seti, I didn't actually know that delete history on exit thing existed.

But can i ask you why you are not willing to change browser? I know IE9 is the best IE yet, but it still can't compete with Chrome (in my opinion, and 95% of all other geeks)

Because in my opinion, IE is superior and/or fit for my purpose. I have had issues with Chrome and Firefox is certainly not as great as people make it out to be. And in my opinion, 95% of all other geeks have opinions based on other geeks rhetoric and opinions as opposed to facts; all in my opinion, of course.

Never use IE, I would use Google Chrome which is a very good browser..

Any particular reason why never to use IE? It's came on leaps and bounds since competition from Chrome & Firefox (credit to them). A similar thing is said about Norton AV, which I agree with until their most recent versions that happen to be very good AV suites all round. Only the rhetoric says otherwise.

I did politely request not to recieve advice to change browsers, doing so infers two things -that I am somehow incapable to weigh the pro's & con's up myself and in turn this effectively insults my intelligence on the matter, and secondly shows that instead of being interested in solving the issue you propose sweeping it under the carpet and using another browser. Both things are completely unacceptable. I don't mean to sound like such a douche, but from my point of view that's exactly what you two come across as. One additional reason why I also didn't want this "advice" was to avoid any flamewars. Please take heid!

Last edited:
Going to need some specifics.

That issue with hitting the back button, does it occur with all sites? Because usually this only happens when things are done from the site's end, i.e., through scripts or forwards, to prevent you from going back.

Where do you store your cookies? and the settings for that particular directory please (access-wise)? What is your privacy setting?

I would suggest two things to try. First, if you haven't already I would reset every page in the internet settings window to default. Also make sure your antivirus is t somehow blocking cookies (more of an issue with security suites than stand alones).

Second, if possible I would uninstall IE9 and starting with 8 reinstall 9. If 9 was the default version, uninstall it by unchecking it in "add/remove windows components" and then reboot before reinstalling IE.

Also I would uninstall any toolbars you have in IE. My experience is toolbars in any browser causes problems.

Thank you for all your suggestions.

I finally solved the issue today. After trying a reinstall! (I waited until I got BT infinity 80/20 installed - for all the updates that was required, which btw is excellent!).

The issue was to do with permissions - even after the reinstall I had issues. This was due to creating a junction link from my C:\Users\Chris to my D:\Users\Chris (C is a SSD, D is a big HDD) and when moving the folder in safe mode using the admin account, permissions are changed including those in the Apps folder - hence IE permissions.

Taking ownership of the whole D:\Users\Chris folder solved all the issues - although the only symptoms I had are those above, I would have expected more.

Ach well, thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom